Help with Anxiety

Hi All,

I am after some advice.  I am a 33 year old woman with a diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome and dual diagnosis of anxiety and depression.

I am prescribed 40g Floxetine to help with the anxiety and depression, however, recently I have found my anxiety levels have spiked. I cannot pinpoint any obvious triggers for this but have been to my GP and I am awaiting involvement from my local IAPT services.

Unfortunately, I feel that my anxiety is getting progressively worse. At the moment I am combating this by spending my free time engaging in my hobbies (mainly creative writing), which is helpful, however, I am finding myself wanting to retreat into my fantasy world as I am struggling to cope with my anxiety issues.

Beyond the support of my GP and family I have no support from professionals. I was wondering if anyone knew of any support available. I am particularly trying to find support that is tailored towards individuals with autism as my anxiety is linked to the stress of living in an unpredictable world.

This is my first post on this forum and I apologise if it is a little vague, I really struggle to express my feelings in an adequate manner.

Thank you

Claire

Parents
  • Hi Claire

You have expressed yourself really well. So sorry to hear that your anxiety is limiting your enjoyment of life at the moment.

I was diagnosed with ASD just over 3 weeks ago. I've been taking Propanalol for anxiety and I am on the waiting list for IAPT Computer Based Counselling with email support. That will be followed by some face to face sessions.

Yesterday i watched a video which emphasised how much physical activity can help with anxiety and depression. The thing is you really need to find a form of exercise you enjoy otherwise this is a chore not a pleasure. Is there anything you like to do that involves physical activity like swimming, dancing, bowling, skating?

Another intervention I have heard mentioned a couple of times recently is Cognitive Analytical Therapy - Laura James talks about it very positively in her book 'Odd Girl Out' and I saw another interesting description of it just now: www.acat.me.uk/reformulation.php
    The way CAT is delivered seems to suit many autistic people, as this article explains.

Very best wishes

Rose

• Hi Claire

You have expressed yourself really well. So sorry to hear that your anxiety is limiting your enjoyment of life at the moment.

I was diagnosed with ASD just over 3 weeks ago. I've been taking Propanalol for anxiety and I am on the waiting list for IAPT Computer Based Counselling with email support. That will be followed by some face to face sessions.

Yesterday i watched a video which emphasised how much physical activity can help with anxiety and depression. The thing is you really need to find a form of exercise you enjoy otherwise this is a chore not a pleasure. Is there anything you like to do that involves physical activity like swimming, dancing, bowling, skating?

Another intervention I have heard mentioned a couple of times recently is Cognitive Analytical Therapy - Laura James talks about it very positively in her book 'Odd Girl Out' and I saw another interesting description of it just now: www.acat.me.uk/reformulation.php
    The way CAT is delivered seems to suit many autistic people, as this article explains.

Very best wishes

Rose

Children
No Data