Socially isolated

Hi,

I am a 16 year old girl with Asperger's. 16 is a really difficult age with drinking and partying and drugs. I feel very isolated because I do not like alcohol and it messes with my medication but people don't seem to understand that I don't want to. Is it okay to not want to drink? I also don't get invited out to a lot of house parties which is mainly my fault, I am sure if I asked I would be able to go but the idea of spending an evening getting roaringly drunk with people I mainly do no even like does not appeal to me. I feel so left out,  but is it okay to not want to join in and stay at home and not drink or is it sad and pathetic? I get very, very anxious about social things like this, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jess x

Parents
  • I'm in my 40s and don't drink, never have. Certainly never even contemplated drugs. Through the years I have tended to find that those people who thought it was strange I didn't drink, or tried to make me, were people who it wasn't worth bothering with.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with staying in if that is what you prefer doing. I have never had much of a "going out" social life, but try and take/find opportunities that suit me. If you think you would like to go out more, maybe there are some clubs/groups you could look for around a hobby/sport you like.

Are you y11 or at college? The teacher in me (I teach secondary) says "if you are y11 then just focus on your exams young lady" (spent most of last week saying it to parents at parents evening...)

• I'm in my 40s and don't drink, never have. Certainly never even contemplated drugs. Through the years I have tended to find that those people who thought it was strange I didn't drink, or tried to make me, were people who it wasn't worth bothering with.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with staying in if that is what you prefer doing. I have never had much of a "going out" social life, but try and take/find opportunities that suit me. If you think you would like to go out more, maybe there are some clubs/groups you could look for around a hobby/sport you like.

Are you y11 or at college? The teacher in me (I teach secondary) says "if you are y11 then just focus on your exams young lady" (spent most of last week saying it to parents at parents evening...)

Children
No Data