What do you struggle with and how do you overcome it?.

I have meltdowns over lots of things. I find it difficult to choose what to eat, and even to think about what to eat, what to wear, which clothes to buy, which products to buy, which food to buy, etc. I also struggle with hygiene. I don't like it if my face gets wet in the shower, don't like the feeling of a toothbrush, the taste of toothpaste, I worry that I am not washing my hair, brushing my teeth, combing my hair properly because of my dexterity problems and sensory issues. I have a big phobia with brushing my teeth as I have issues with my gums. I worry about seeing them bleed when I brush or that the toothbrush might make my gums recede more. I have to see the dentist every three months and I am terrified of them. Everytime I go there, it't the same issues. Most of my teeth are fine, but I still have the bleeding gums and I still have the biggest build up of plaque and tartar on my lower front teeth. It ruins my confidence. I'm not sure if this is psychological and an irrational fear, and do other people with autism feel this way, and if so, how do you overcome it?. I feel like I am not having a normal life because I am constantly worrying and having overloads and meltdowns about things. I am in supported accommodation at the moment, but the staff don't take the time to help me with these issues.  

Parents
  • Brushing teeth is still a problem for me.  I now use battery operated toothbrushes for over twenty years.  I could never go back to manual toothbrushes.  I also use an expanding floss.  Many years ago I used to get floss stuck between my teeth and when it broke it was really unpleasant, my whole set of teeth was in pain, until the floss eventually decayed and fell out.  I also use expensive toothpaste such as Oral B.

• Brushing teeth is still a problem for me.  I now use battery operated toothbrushes for over twenty years.  I could never go back to manual toothbrushes.  I also use an expanding floss.  Many years ago I used to get floss stuck between my teeth and when it broke it was really unpleasant, my whole set of teeth was in pain, until the floss eventually decayed and fell out.  I also use expensive toothpaste such as Oral B.

Children
No Data