Staying safe from suicidal thoughts

Whenever someone posts a message saying that they are feeling suicidal it makes me catch my breath. My ex partner died through suicide after a long, painful struggle with mental health problems.

I have just seen a new website for people who are having suicidal thoughts, so I thought I'd post a link:

http://stayingsafe.net/

The first page has videos designed to help in a crisis, if you press 'need help right now' on the second page you will see information about a range of services. 

Parents
  • Thanks for this link, Sunflower.  It's useful.  I don't feel suicidal, but the idea is always in my head.  Always.  In some ways, horrible though it sounds, it's kind of reassuring to know the option is there if ever it gets to a point where I've just had enough.  What usually keeps me going (apart from Daisy!) is the thought that I can't know if it can get better unless I give it the chance. Slight smile

• The risk of suicide is high for people with ASD. The website is a generic resource but may still offer some help.

It is good to see more research being done into high suicide rates among autistic people. We need access to assessment and decent services and support post diagnosis if anything is going to change.

For my ex partner suicide was a rational choice after a long period of suffering. I understood why he did what he did even though it was terribly painful for his friends and family. 

I know what you mean about the idea being in your head even though you don't feel suicidal. And things can be better, I'm sure of that too. 

• Yes.  Average life expectancy is 54, and the main cause of early death is suicide.  Hugely higher than for the rest of the population.

• Such a tragic statistic. People left behind when someone takes their life through suicide are often at higher risk too. 

Reply Children
No Data