How do I get my diagnosis in writing?

I am a adult male 36yrs old I was only diagnosed back in 2010 with Asperger's syndrome, my GP sent me for assessment with a district physchiatric nurse I think it was I forget, I never had this in writing I was wondering if and how I get that confirmation in writing? I also have suspected dyspraxia which my gp said once it may well be the case as it often is present in autistic people, I can't remember if I had anything in writing or should I have had, or do I need to request that? As when mum helps me filling out ESA forms I keep thinking I should surely have this in writing to accompany my assessment for work forms, when explaining my difficulties and inability to function in relation to work, my GP always signs a limited or inability to work sick note 3 monthly I am confused how or what I need to do to prove my diagnosis?

I have major issues sleeping and waking up I cannot remember anything two seconds after being told, I could not operate machines on JSA before I forgot to pull the tool down on a diesel press twice which could have killed people, I fear that if they try to make me do JSA work I'll be endangering my self and others forgetting basic safety and operation of machines etc, not only that I'd never get up or sleep I'd be fired for lateness in a week?

I'm certainly not stupid, but it takes a baby learning hand shown teaching repeated over and over for me to understand things, not everything I remember but sometimes this baby teaching method may work but rarely, I rely on my mum way to much to explain things for me and help me, I am just really worried this recent capability for work assessment form for ESA, is maybe going to put me in a position of homelessness or vulnerability, and there doesn't seem to be an understanding of my traits or any written diagnosis paperwork to accompany it although I was formally diagnosed in 2010?

Was I supposed to or can I request my diagnosis to be written on paper, or have I forgotten if they did send this maybe or thrown it away not thinking clearly at some time as I wouldn't put it past me to not understand it if I was sent it by mail and throw it away???

• This would have really bothered me. I'd hate knowing that information had been written about me and not knowing what it said.

• Made me feel much better getting the letter. Easier to disclose just being able to show a letter and not having to worry about their being lots of personal information like I assume is in the report. I should get my report any day now. I have been wondering whether I'd receive it by post or email. Everything else has been by email.

• yeah I got the same as you - letter to show people, and full report was emailed to me (and sent to GP) about a month after diagnosis.

• I'm surprised you didn't get any kind of report. I haven't received my report yet but the people that did the assessment sent me a 'To whom this may concern' letter which states my diagnosis. This is probably what I will use to show people I'm autistic as I don't think I want people to read the full report. Like others have said I'd ask your gp. They might have to get it from whoever did your assessment.

• I'd also say: first step is to ask your GP.

I must admit, I also specifically had to request some kind of report. Which I thought was strange. And I only got the summary, and still have to ask for the full report. But I was warned not to give it to other organisations too fast (?).

• You should be able to request something from your gp, they might not have access to the full report but they should be able to direct you to the right place or even request it for you