'People with autism have stronger connections between brain cells'

I wasn't certain about posting this, but thought people might be interested - even if just for the Reply to it left at the end.

I dislike the language of 'impairments', and the distinction the author seems to be making between 'mentally healthy' patients and autistic ones.

Be interested in others' thoughts and opinions...

People with autism 'have stronger connections between brain cells, making it harder for them to switch off.'

Parents
  • I know past memories are long term while i feel this article is talking more about short term memories related to conversation and tasks.

Im going off on a tangent here as i quite often do....but like you say its exploring the branches of the tree...

Could it also explain why (for me as self-identified ASC) i get incredibly nostalgic? Why i cant let go of some things from the past? Why, when someone talks about something from the past they talk as if it happened a long time ago but for me its still clear, vivid, and feels like yesterday?

• I thought that was more related to the ASD and another way of processing emotions and I don't think the article meant that. 

I do know what you mean though. I've got the same. Some even wake me up at night and I relive the experience Confused

I thought that was more related to having trouble processing emotions.

• I do know what you mean though. I've got the same. Some even wake me up at night and I relive the experience

I do that all the time.  Even small things haunt me in my sleep.  It's like you get a tiny dent in your car from a stone thrown up as you're driving.  The car still looks the same.  But you know the dent is there.  And you focus on it.  It's the only thing you see every time you go to the car.  And the car is changed - even devalued - because of it. Even though no one else even notices the dent, because it's so tiny, and the car isn't theirs.

• I do know what you mean though. I've got the same. Some even wake me up at night and I relive the experience

I do that all the time.  Even small things haunt me in my sleep.  It's like you get a tiny dent in your car from a stone thrown up as you're driving.  The car still looks the same.  But you know the dent is there.  And you focus on it.  It's the only thing you see every time you go to the car.  And the car is changed - even devalued - because of it. Even though no one else even notices the dent, because it's so tiny, and the car isn't theirs.

Children
  • I like that about the dent. Because it is a dent on the inside and a big one that sticks out.

• That is a nice way of describing it. I wake up literally reliving the moment and the feeling hasn't changed. Bot like a moutning process where you go through all the steps till you're 'done'. Nooo, right back to the original feeling and I get stuck in a loop.

Very strange because rationally I can completely justify why I took the turn/ decision at the time, but it seems completely unprocessed. If that makes any sense. 

The feeling is crap though and I lie awake and can't shake it off.

It's usually the life-changing decisions I have taken in my life and wanted to be different but couldn't do different. For lots of valid reasons.