'People with autism have stronger connections between brain cells'

I wasn't certain about posting this, but thought people might be interested - even if just for the Reply to it left at the end.

I dislike the language of 'impairments', and the distinction the author seems to be making between 'mentally healthy' patients and autistic ones.

Be interested in others' thoughts and opinions...

People with autism 'have stronger connections between brain cells, making it harder for them to switch off.'

Parents
  • This is an interesting read - but surely our cognitive tendency to sych and hold on to things has positive benefits too? I was reading another research study this morning and got fed up with NT brains being described as 'healthy brains'. I think all research papers contrasting ASD/NT should be written from a neutral perspective avoiding language implying being autistic is inherently 'unhealthy'. 

• This is an interesting read - but surely our cognitive tendency to sych and hold on to things has positive benefits too? I was reading another research study this morning and got fed up with NT brains being described as 'healthy brains'. I think all research papers contrasting ASD/NT should be written from a neutral perspective avoiding language implying being autistic is inherently 'unhealthy'. 

Children
  • Definitely it has benefits.  Zoning out with inconsequential stuff and focusing on what's important.  Vital with stuff like writing, coding, music, art.  This news feature, too, makes that 'healthy' distinction.  I'm pretty certain Bill Gates is on the spectrum, and I'm sure it helped him to get where he is.  Zuckerberg too, probably.  I'm sure Mozart was there.  And both Gary Numan and Paddy Considine have publicly stated that their Asperger's has helped them with their chosen careers.  Chris Packham, too.