Flu jab

I've been offered a free flu jab by my GPs practice.  I'm considering getting it.

Has anyone else being offered free jabs?

Parents
  • I have had flu jabs for the past twenty years because of a heart problem.

There was only one year I had a problem with the jab, the site was very stiff and achy for months afterwards, but had no problems at any other time.

Flu is a very unpleasant disease (not the mild 'sniffle' that many people say is flu) and is very debilitating, last time I had flu (probably 25 years ago) I was in bed for a week and didn't (couldn't) eat for that time and even visiting the toilet was a tremendous effort.  So anything which helps prevent that is well worth while.

The flu jab though isn't infallible due to the many mutations and variations of the flu virus, but it will reduce the chance of going down with it.  But what the thinking is that the jab should be paid for if you do not come into the categories that make you vulnerable I do not know.  It seems totally illogical that for a relatively small cost many lives could be saved (flu kills many people every year) and the saving to the economy in preventing lost production and sick pay would be many times more than the cost.

But then many cost-saving measures are false economy.

• I have had flu jabs for the past twenty years because of a heart problem.

There was only one year I had a problem with the jab, the site was very stiff and achy for months afterwards, but had no problems at any other time.

Flu is a very unpleasant disease (not the mild 'sniffle' that many people say is flu) and is very debilitating, last time I had flu (probably 25 years ago) I was in bed for a week and didn't (couldn't) eat for that time and even visiting the toilet was a tremendous effort.  So anything which helps prevent that is well worth while.

The flu jab though isn't infallible due to the many mutations and variations of the flu virus, but it will reduce the chance of going down with it.  But what the thinking is that the jab should be paid for if you do not come into the categories that make you vulnerable I do not know.  It seems totally illogical that for a relatively small cost many lives could be saved (flu kills many people every year) and the saving to the economy in preventing lost production and sick pay would be many times more than the cost.

But then many cost-saving measures are false economy.

Children
No Data