Itching

I read somewhere on here just a minute ago about itching but can't find the comment now that I'm logged in. I know Dr Temple Grandin has said that it's a problem for her. Is that an autistic thing? Is it my brain overreacting? It's been a problem for me since I was in my 30s. I've complained to landlords and moved out of rented flats numerous times because of the itching. Is there an official respect-inducing name for this problem which I can tell my doctor and be taken seriously?

Parents
  • Skin-sensitivity is definitely a problem for people on the spectrum. You could hit me on the head with a frying pan and I'll be OK, but an itchy label will drive me to the point of madness.

It's hyper-sensitivity. That's a sensory term for it. Dermotillamania can also be an issue for Autists. It's when scratching becomes excessive. You can get habitual with scratching and the itching is a psychosomatic cue for scratching or picking. I have sensory problems with my feet. They are super sensitive, so if I get even the slightest itch I end up ripping them to bits.

Diet can also be a factor. Many foods can cause itching. Milk being a common one. Sugar can be another. Foods from the Nightshade family such as tomatoes and potatoes can be triggers. You may find that it could be dietary. Coffee and energy drinks make me itch too. I avoid them anyway because they make me nervy and I can't sleep. Which brings me onto your other comment!

Weird stuff going on with my hearing as well. It definitely gets worse when I am stressed.

Yeah, I get this too. Stress and tiredness make my senses far more difficult to manage. Moving patterns, sounds continuing after they have gone, smell is stronger and my synaesthesia is far more vivid, that can be a good thing but not in a public setting! Do you drink much caffeine or energy drinks? They aren't good for nerves or sleep.

I'd tell your doctor about the hyper-sensitivity, plus how it affects you. They might give you an allergy test. Then you can eliminate certain things or pick up what it is. Try and get a food allergy test too. It could be as simple as stopping eating one food.

I can totally sympathise, itching is hell. I have a really high tolerance to pain but it's more than evened out by my tolerance to itching and heat. I'm itching thinking about your itching!Slight frown

• Skin-sensitivity is definitely a problem for people on the spectrum. You could hit me on the head with a frying pan and I'll be OK, but an itchy label will drive me to the point of madness.

It's hyper-sensitivity. That's a sensory term for it. Dermotillamania can also be an issue for Autists. It's when scratching becomes excessive. You can get habitual with scratching and the itching is a psychosomatic cue for scratching or picking. I have sensory problems with my feet. They are super sensitive, so if I get even the slightest itch I end up ripping them to bits.

Diet can also be a factor. Many foods can cause itching. Milk being a common one. Sugar can be another. Foods from the Nightshade family such as tomatoes and potatoes can be triggers. You may find that it could be dietary. Coffee and energy drinks make me itch too. I avoid them anyway because they make me nervy and I can't sleep. Which brings me onto your other comment!

Weird stuff going on with my hearing as well. It definitely gets worse when I am stressed.

Yeah, I get this too. Stress and tiredness make my senses far more difficult to manage. Moving patterns, sounds continuing after they have gone, smell is stronger and my synaesthesia is far more vivid, that can be a good thing but not in a public setting! Do you drink much caffeine or energy drinks? They aren't good for nerves or sleep.

I'd tell your doctor about the hyper-sensitivity, plus how it affects you. They might give you an allergy test. Then you can eliminate certain things or pick up what it is. Try and get a food allergy test too. It could be as simple as stopping eating one food.

I can totally sympathise, itching is hell. I have a really high tolerance to pain but it's more than evened out by my tolerance to itching and heat. I'm itching thinking about your itching!Slight frown

Children
  • Thank you for these very helpful comments Cloudy Mountains. I gave up milk a while ago and I mostly just drink tea now because it tastes better with the coconut or almond milk substitutes than coffee does. Will definitely tell my doctor about the hyper-sensitivity.I have suffered in silence long enough! There are more comments that I would like to make but I need to get some sleep first. Thanks again.