How to ask for help and support?

I am going through a rough time at the moment, but one of my biggest flaws is that I cannot ask for help or support, or even communicate what is going on.

Today I went to my GP as a last resort as I have been feeling suicidal and struggling with life in general.  Due to the ways I express myself (flat, non-expressive) I think a lot of people fail to realise how serious things really are and this is compiled with me not being able to communicate the severity properly either.

I need the support from other people, but my previous experience of this from my family wasn't great, if anything I was left feeling a bit of a nut case and a burden.

I need to tell my partner what is going on without feeling judge or a let down (this is from experience), but I just can't.  To make things worse he always asks me about how I feel, when as I have expressed in other posts, I'm pretty certain I have Alexithymia, so I don't know what I am feeling.  The best I can explain is good, neutral or bad, which doesn't help anyone.

I am seriously considering handing in my notice in at my job tomorrow, but I don't know if this is the overwhelmed depressed me taking action, or the sensible logical me that is seeing the light at the end of the tunnel - either way I need support and guidance to help steer me.

Parents
  • Hi Starbuck, 

I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling.

I think the suggestion to write down your thoughts is a good one. What do you think about writing a letter to your GP as well as your partner? 

Handing a letter that explains your current state in person to your GP could be done at the next appointment you make. If you don't already have a formal diagnosis of ASC then perhaps this is also the time to raise it with your GP. If you're feeling overwhelmed and on the brink of quitting your job I'd urge you to revisit your GP as it sounds as though you may need to be signed off from work for a while. This will give you space to work out your feelings and probably lead to a better decision longer term. 

For more immediate emotional support, a web search should bring up contacts for adult Mental Health community & emergency services in your local area. 

The Samaritans can be contacted in the UK on 116 123 (quickest way to get in touch) or emailed on jo@samaritans.org if you prefer to write. 

Mind UK has some good crisis support info here: 

www.mind.org.uk/.../

If you feel unable to keep yourself safe, you can call 999 and ask for an ambulance.

• Hi Starbuck, 

I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling.

I think the suggestion to write down your thoughts is a good one. What do you think about writing a letter to your GP as well as your partner? 

Handing a letter that explains your current state in person to your GP could be done at the next appointment you make. If you don't already have a formal diagnosis of ASC then perhaps this is also the time to raise it with your GP. If you're feeling overwhelmed and on the brink of quitting your job I'd urge you to revisit your GP as it sounds as though you may need to be signed off from work for a while. This will give you space to work out your feelings and probably lead to a better decision longer term. 

For more immediate emotional support, a web search should bring up contacts for adult Mental Health community & emergency services in your local area. 

The Samaritans can be contacted in the UK on 116 123 (quickest way to get in touch) or emailed on jo@samaritans.org if you prefer to write. 

Mind UK has some good crisis support info here: 

www.mind.org.uk/.../

If you feel unable to keep yourself safe, you can call 999 and ask for an ambulance.

Children
No Data