increased depression and suicide rates in autistic adults

Depression is even more likely to affect those in the autism community than it affects neurotypicals and the non-disabled, because of the lifelong torture that people with autism go through on a daily basis. And people on the autism spectrum also have a high suicide risk, according to medical research and proven psychology articles. Which is why as someone with Asperger syndrome I find myself wondering if I will continue to suffer from depression and have thoughts of suicide for the rest of my life.

There was this group of ASD and Asperger Syndrome adults who had either contemplated suicide or considered doing so after being diagnosed at a clinic, because they ended up suffering from depression. I also heard about one autistic man who eventually committed suicide. I don't want to end up amongst those people - even though I won't be able to break free from my severe depression.

Parents
  • Hi NAS36090

Like Robert I have periods of depression and very recently been experiencing suicidal thoughts. I grit my teeth, hold my nerve and ride it out.... but being wobbly can be rather scary at times - but I hold out that these will pass in time like a child on a rollercoaster!!

I try to nurture myself as best I can during those episodes - try to do things that I hope to find enjoyable or feed the soul in a positive way as a means to self-rebalance.

One of the challenges for me is the depressive thoughts PLUS my autistic characteristic of finding it difficult to articulate myself, feelings and needs which is scary.  Also as estranged from family and with very very few friends it becomes a case of self trying to help self.

Although the following programme does not cover those individuals on the spectrum, last weeks BBC Horizon programme looking at stopping male suicide is very insightful and not embarrassed by mental health.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bgv82g

In terms of gender the programme states that it is women more than mean that express suicidal thoughts but that men are ultimately more successful.  This in the programme is ascribed to the "fact" that women are more likely to have a support network in place.

With my geek hat on, the programme also talks about the use of machine learning to try to predict pre-suicide, those at risk. It seems to be a multi-modal element of things than can trigger such intention - i.e. social isolation + relationship loss + financial difficulties + poor health, for example that can create that perfect storm.

Autism can mean that social isolation is more likely, plus communication challenges, plus other comorbid conditions adding extra to the pot! 

From a quick online search the following book comes up: 

Overcoming Anxiety and Depression on the Autism Spectrum

A Self-Help Guide Using CBT

Lee A. Wilkinson

below is a link to some of the resources mentioned in the book. Not read it...so can't comment if it is of any worth/use or not.

https://www.jkp.com/uk/overcoming-anxiety-and-depression-on-the-autism-spectrum-2.html#resources

I don't want to end up amongst those people - even though I won't be able to break free from my severe depression.

Then, I would suggest that you try to find good souls that you feel able to talk to. If you find it difficult to voice your struggles that it may be pertinent to make people aware of how you display your depressive behaviour - i.e. if you become more socially isolated, your autistic characteristics become more pronounced, self care seems to falter etc.

Have you also thought about accessing some autism friendly CBT support as this may help you recognise symptoms or develop self care strategies.

best wishes

Ellie

• Hi NAS36090

Like Robert I have periods of depression and very recently been experiencing suicidal thoughts. I grit my teeth, hold my nerve and ride it out.... but being wobbly can be rather scary at times - but I hold out that these will pass in time like a child on a rollercoaster!!

I try to nurture myself as best I can during those episodes - try to do things that I hope to find enjoyable or feed the soul in a positive way as a means to self-rebalance.

One of the challenges for me is the depressive thoughts PLUS my autistic characteristic of finding it difficult to articulate myself, feelings and needs which is scary.  Also as estranged from family and with very very few friends it becomes a case of self trying to help self.

Although the following programme does not cover those individuals on the spectrum, last weeks BBC Horizon programme looking at stopping male suicide is very insightful and not embarrassed by mental health.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bgv82g

In terms of gender the programme states that it is women more than mean that express suicidal thoughts but that men are ultimately more successful.  This in the programme is ascribed to the "fact" that women are more likely to have a support network in place.

With my geek hat on, the programme also talks about the use of machine learning to try to predict pre-suicide, those at risk. It seems to be a multi-modal element of things than can trigger such intention - i.e. social isolation + relationship loss + financial difficulties + poor health, for example that can create that perfect storm.

Autism can mean that social isolation is more likely, plus communication challenges, plus other comorbid conditions adding extra to the pot! 

From a quick online search the following book comes up: 

Overcoming Anxiety and Depression on the Autism Spectrum

A Self-Help Guide Using CBT

Lee A. Wilkinson

below is a link to some of the resources mentioned in the book. Not read it...so can't comment if it is of any worth/use or not.

https://www.jkp.com/uk/overcoming-anxiety-and-depression-on-the-autism-spectrum-2.html#resources

I don't want to end up amongst those people - even though I won't be able to break free from my severe depression.

Then, I would suggest that you try to find good souls that you feel able to talk to. If you find it difficult to voice your struggles that it may be pertinent to make people aware of how you display your depressive behaviour - i.e. if you become more socially isolated, your autistic characteristics become more pronounced, self care seems to falter etc.

Have you also thought about accessing some autism friendly CBT support as this may help you recognise symptoms or develop self care strategies.

best wishes

Ellie

Children
  • I just wish I didn't have to live in the same household as any of my family members, or anyone else for that matter - especially because of this household being within the type of negative toxic environment that is not even set up for vulnerable autistics like myself who are also suffering from severe depression. I wish I could escape elsewhere and get as far away from everyone and everything as possible. Then I can start focusing on getting help and consider joining a few depression and suicide awareness programs. Because I feel the need to start opening up about my suicidal depression.