Hundreds of autism genes found to be triggered by a single key protein

Hi Folks,

The ff link might be of interest

https://newatlas.com/autism-genes-triggered-key-protein/55943/

Goodnight.

Parents
  • After reading through the source materiel, I will admit I am not educated with the formulas they are using and I am not going to spend money on buying the full paper when it is speculation 'this protein emerges as a possible link between environmental factors that alter brain development and the genes that predispose to autism' Quoting Alberto Parras, the author of the study according to this link, (https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0423-5) Sorry if I seem hostile but you should really read and find source material before posting as to not misinform people.

I am new to this forum so I will apologise if i have broken any rules or offended people.

• I think you're quite right to be skeptical, Luke. The link is only in mouse models, and it's not clear how many of those genes are also only known from animal models. There may be something useful to learn if these things can be demonstrated in humans, but with a condition that is defined by cognitive, perceptual and social traits, I'm especially skeptical about such sensationalist reports based on animal studies. The mice might be showing behaviours that look autistic, but that doesn't mean that their psychological reason for doing so is the same.

At the same time, I don't have a problem with people posting these links, if only for my own scientific curiosity. If people only go and read them on their own, then folks like us don't get the chance to present our counter-arguments. I think it's unreasonable to expect that everyone has the scientific training or resources to understand the original sources; so bringing them up on the forum to see what other people's informed opinions are seems like a good substitute.

And yes - I hate those darned paywalls too! As a layman citizen, I just can't afford to pay to read the full papers, and I think it's important that at least a few of us are able to dig behind the hyperbole in the second hand reports.

• Hi Trogluddite,

Thanks for your response.

Crikey, I ought to be more careful in what I post and how I present it. Many thanks.

Just to add a bit more - you are absolutely right in saying "... I'm especially skeptical about such sensationalist reports based on animal studies. The mice might be showing behaviours that look autistic, but that doesn't mean that their psychological reason for doing so is the same ..."

This research seems to have found a protein that affects expression of homologous genes implicated in human autism in animal models. Wouldn't you agree that if this research is eventually scaled to human subjects and the results are the same, which happens often enough though not always, then that constitutes a potential avenue for therapeutic intervention?

Regarding the "behaviors" and "psychological" aspect, I am now comfortable with the social exclusion and couldn't care less about other people's reaction to my awkwardness. But wouldn't you agree any potential therapeutic intervention that removes the crippling depression, anxiety and OCD is worth knowing about?

I think I get it now. I assumed a lot when I posted that link. Now I know I shouldn't have made assumptions. Who was it that said "assumption is the mother of all ***-ups"?Henceforth I'll be more circumspect.

Thanks.

• Great. Yes "hyperbolic journalism" must be called out. I couldn't agree more. Thanks mate.

Reply Children
No Data