Diabetes type 1

Hello

Just joined here. i was just wondering wether there is any parent out there with an autistic child that also has type 1 diabetes like my daughter. She was diagnosed last may and totally out of the blue. would be nice to share ideas or just to know there is some else who understands

Thank you

Parents
  • My son is 23 with late diagnoses of ASD at age 19. He was diagnosed with T1 diabetes a year ago and we are struggling.

I am always looking for someone in a similar situation to mine  in the hope that i might find an answer to my sons predicament.  Since the initial diagnoses die to his anxiety my son has struggled to take his insulin. Due to his anxiety levels and lack of insight the hospital started him on a twice  a day insulin regime with nurses visiting twice daily.  To cut a very long story short due to his anxiety and OCD he refused the nurses and has now stopped taking his insulin. He now waits until he goes into a state of ketoacidosis before injecting one dose of long acting insulin. Basically he only takes it when he feels unwell. His blood sugars are always up in the late 20s, He is 6ft 1 and currently weighing in at 8.5 stone. He is under safeguarding, social services and has a support worker but refuses to engage with the services or  receive treatment for his anxiety  I am at my whits end.  Any suggestions welcome.

• My son is 23 with late diagnoses of ASD at age 19. He was diagnosed with T1 diabetes a year ago and we are struggling.

I am always looking for someone in a similar situation to mine  in the hope that i might find an answer to my sons predicament.  Since the initial diagnoses die to his anxiety my son has struggled to take his insulin. Due to his anxiety levels and lack of insight the hospital started him on a twice  a day insulin regime with nurses visiting twice daily.  To cut a very long story short due to his anxiety and OCD he refused the nurses and has now stopped taking his insulin. He now waits until he goes into a state of ketoacidosis before injecting one dose of long acting insulin. Basically he only takes it when he feels unwell. His blood sugars are always up in the late 20s, He is 6ft 1 and currently weighing in at 8.5 stone. He is under safeguarding, social services and has a support worker but refuses to engage with the services or  receive treatment for his anxiety  I am at my whits end.  Any suggestions welcome.

Children
No Data