Diabetes type 1

Hello

Just joined here. i was just wondering wether there is any parent out there with an autistic child that also has type 1 diabetes like my daughter. She was diagnosed last may and totally out of the blue. would be nice to share ideas or just to know there is some else who understands

Thank you

Parents
  • After 20 years of heart ache getting a firm diagnosis for my son, they finally agreed an autism referral after he refused life threatening treatment at a&e after a blood test shoed blood sugar levels of over 30.  (took three weeks for him to agree to blood test) He actually walked out of hospital after 24 hours once he had analysed the information and worked out how he could do things comfortably for him he agreed to go back.

He didnt understand why all the fuss, he had felt the way he was for over a year. It was only when he could rarely stay awake he agreed to see gp.

The problem I have now is although he's happy to count carbs and use the insulin pens himself as he knows this is medicinal.  He doesnt like the needle pricks to check his blood sugar. He doesn't get why he should have his fingers pricked draw blood just to get a reading, there is no logic to it, for him.

Being as he's 22 and bigger than me I can't do it if he won't let me, we need 8 reading over 24 hours so the diabetic nurse can calculate the correct insulin dose.

He also has a needle phobia.

Any suggestions please.

• After 20 years of heart ache getting a firm diagnosis for my son, they finally agreed an autism referral after he refused life threatening treatment at a&e after a blood test shoed blood sugar levels of over 30.  (took three weeks for him to agree to blood test) He actually walked out of hospital after 24 hours once he had analysed the information and worked out how he could do things comfortably for him he agreed to go back.

He didnt understand why all the fuss, he had felt the way he was for over a year. It was only when he could rarely stay awake he agreed to see gp.

The problem I have now is although he's happy to count carbs and use the insulin pens himself as he knows this is medicinal.  He doesnt like the needle pricks to check his blood sugar. He doesn't get why he should have his fingers pricked draw blood just to get a reading, there is no logic to it, for him.

Being as he's 22 and bigger than me I can't do it if he won't let me, we need 8 reading over 24 hours so the diabetic nurse can calculate the correct insulin dose.

He also has a needle phobia.

Any suggestions please.

Children
No Data