Diabetes type 1

Hello

Just joined here. i was just wondering wether there is any parent out there with an autistic child that also has type 1 diabetes like my daughter. She was diagnosed last may and totally out of the blue. would be nice to share ideas or just to know there is some else who understands

Thank you

Parents
  • I was really heartened to read your post, it really feels quite lonely not only to have a daughter with high functioning autism, but also diabetes, and whilst I wouldn't wish diabetes on anyone else, it is good to know that someone else is going through the same things. I particularly identify with the fact that your daughter is doing well academically at school, yet at home is a different person. I think Rosie's teachers would be quite shocked to see some of her performances at home! Because the school don't see any autistic behaviour, and it is not affecting her learning as such(yet), we have been told she will almost certainly won't qualify for a statement. I intend to press for  'school action' in September, as I am afraid her anxiety will limit her concentration. I have also had mornings where I have had to drag her clothes on to her to get her to school. She has quite a lot of anxieties surrounding school, to do with illness someone saying they feel sick sends her into internal turmoil all day. Thats what it is this year, last year it was lit candles (!) At home after school is the worst, she comes out and is fine, by the time we get to the car she has relaxed and let her anxieties she's had during the day out onto me and her sister. Of course she has to have an outlet but it can be v hard. Another source of conflict is snacks, when her bloods are high, and she can't have what she wants too eat after school. Not easy. Is your daughter on insulin injections or a pump? How long has she had diabetes for? Rosie was v excited to hear there was someone else just like her out there!!

• I was really heartened to read your post, it really feels quite lonely not only to have a daughter with high functioning autism, but also diabetes, and whilst I wouldn't wish diabetes on anyone else, it is good to know that someone else is going through the same things. I particularly identify with the fact that your daughter is doing well academically at school, yet at home is a different person. I think Rosie's teachers would be quite shocked to see some of her performances at home! Because the school don't see any autistic behaviour, and it is not affecting her learning as such(yet), we have been told she will almost certainly won't qualify for a statement. I intend to press for  'school action' in September, as I am afraid her anxiety will limit her concentration. I have also had mornings where I have had to drag her clothes on to her to get her to school. She has quite a lot of anxieties surrounding school, to do with illness someone saying they feel sick sends her into internal turmoil all day. Thats what it is this year, last year it was lit candles (!) At home after school is the worst, she comes out and is fine, by the time we get to the car she has relaxed and let her anxieties she's had during the day out onto me and her sister. Of course she has to have an outlet but it can be v hard. Another source of conflict is snacks, when her bloods are high, and she can't have what she wants too eat after school. Not easy. Is your daughter on insulin injections or a pump? How long has she had diabetes for? Rosie was v excited to hear there was someone else just like her out there!!

Children
No Data