Working is killing me

We all get tired and stressed from work and we all definitely have our bad days and even bad jobs, but I am finding as time goes on I am coping less and less with work.

I have recently moved jobs due to numerous issues at my last place of work, but I am finding that I am constantly run down, fatigued, stressed and just generally feel unwell as a result of working.  I am in my early thirties and I know we slow down and get tired with age, but I feel ill - not just tired.

My mental health is strained, I am suffering with anxiety and possibly depression, GI issues, skin complaints, respiratory problems, migraines, fatigue, muscles cramps/pain, joint pain, general illnesses etc etc.

Packing my job in is not an option as I have bills to pay, but I also want to work and like having purpose and responsibility - I just wish it didn't take so much out of me.

I have been looking at career changes, but at the moment I cannot financially afford the risks and even then I am not really sure what I could do that would alleviate these health issues.

Most people seem to breeze through life (ok slightly over dramatic) and get a weeks work done without a hitch and then make the most of the weekend.  I spend my weekends and evenings a wreck, just trying to recover to start again.  Are other people like this and just hide it better or is it me?

If I have to work until my late 60s until I retire, I am starting to think I won't make it anywhere near retirement at this rate.

Parents
  • I have never managed working full time. When I did briefly work a full week I had a total meltdown but they were also nasty employers. Better employers made reasonable adjustment for me so that I had a day off midweek. I slept a lot on Wednesdays but I was great at work the rest of the time. I suggest looking into whether hour adjustment for your shifts etc would help to break up your workload.

Autistic brains overload more quickly, esp when surrounded by people and the strain of normalising interaction. I find that after a day in constant human company I need to retreat to decompress.

Regardless it is not healthy for you to continue with no change.If you press on you might end up unable to work. Much better to strategise and try to make basic changes before you get to that point.

• I have never managed working full time. When I did briefly work a full week I had a total meltdown but they were also nasty employers. Better employers made reasonable adjustment for me so that I had a day off midweek. I slept a lot on Wednesdays but I was great at work the rest of the time. I suggest looking into whether hour adjustment for your shifts etc would help to break up your workload.

Autistic brains overload more quickly, esp when surrounded by people and the strain of normalising interaction. I find that after a day in constant human company I need to retreat to decompress.

Regardless it is not healthy for you to continue with no change.If you press on you might end up unable to work. Much better to strategise and try to make basic changes before you get to that point.

Children
No Data