Working is killing me

We all get tired and stressed from work and we all definitely have our bad days and even bad jobs, but I am finding as time goes on I am coping less and less with work.

I have recently moved jobs due to numerous issues at my last place of work, but I am finding that I am constantly run down, fatigued, stressed and just generally feel unwell as a result of working.  I am in my early thirties and I know we slow down and get tired with age, but I feel ill - not just tired.

My mental health is strained, I am suffering with anxiety and possibly depression, GI issues, skin complaints, respiratory problems, migraines, fatigue, muscles cramps/pain, joint pain, general illnesses etc etc.

Packing my job in is not an option as I have bills to pay, but I also want to work and like having purpose and responsibility - I just wish it didn't take so much out of me.

I have been looking at career changes, but at the moment I cannot financially afford the risks and even then I am not really sure what I could do that would alleviate these health issues.

Most people seem to breeze through life (ok slightly over dramatic) and get a weeks work done without a hitch and then make the most of the weekend.  I spend my weekends and evenings a wreck, just trying to recover to start again.  Are other people like this and just hide it better or is it me?

If I have to work until my late 60s until I retire, I am starting to think I won't make it anywhere near retirement at this rate.

Parents
  • Sorry to hear that you're struggling with work; you are definitely not alone in finding employment difficult. The closest I got to working full time was doing 25hours a week and that caused me to be very unwell mentally and physically. I had to stop working in the end and am currently volunteering and receiving ESA benefit.

I agree with Dongfeng, it sounds like you could really use some help in improving your health. If you are on the spectrum, telling your employers can be a good move; they may be able to find ways to make things less stressful and demanding for you like Elephant says.

I really sympathise with your situation, hope things get better for you.

• I have been there before where I have been too ill to work and it had dire consequences for me so I am keen to keep my head bobbing above the water.

The health issues are the biggest struggle for me at the moment as I certainly feel much older than I am.  As you have experienced yourself, it is obviously common among those on the spectrum, I just wish this is something that could be tackled not just for me, but everyone on the spectrum.  Everyone deserves the right to work and feel happy and healthy at work so they can live independently (where possible) and feel financially stable.

• I have been there before where I have been too ill to work and it had dire consequences for me so I am keen to keep my head bobbing above the water.

The health issues are the biggest struggle for me at the moment as I certainly feel much older than I am.  As you have experienced yourself, it is obviously common among those on the spectrum, I just wish this is something that could be tackled not just for me, but everyone on the spectrum.  Everyone deserves the right to work and feel happy and healthy at work so they can live independently (where possible) and feel financially stable.

Children
No Data