Working is killing me

We all get tired and stressed from work and we all definitely have our bad days and even bad jobs, but I am finding as time goes on I am coping less and less with work.

I have recently moved jobs due to numerous issues at my last place of work, but I am finding that I am constantly run down, fatigued, stressed and just generally feel unwell as a result of working.  I am in my early thirties and I know we slow down and get tired with age, but I feel ill - not just tired.

My mental health is strained, I am suffering with anxiety and possibly depression, GI issues, skin complaints, respiratory problems, migraines, fatigue, muscles cramps/pain, joint pain, general illnesses etc etc.

Packing my job in is not an option as I have bills to pay, but I also want to work and like having purpose and responsibility - I just wish it didn't take so much out of me.

I have been looking at career changes, but at the moment I cannot financially afford the risks and even then I am not really sure what I could do that would alleviate these health issues.

Most people seem to breeze through life (ok slightly over dramatic) and get a weeks work done without a hitch and then make the most of the weekend.  I spend my weekends and evenings a wreck, just trying to recover to start again.  Are other people like this and just hide it better or is it me?

If I have to work until my late 60s until I retire, I am starting to think I won't make it anywhere near retirement at this rate.

Parents
  • Hi Starbuck

Firstly, are you diagnosed as on the spectrum? Secondly, does you employer and to that effect is there scope for you to request reasonable adjustments at work?  Have you been able to identify what the issues are that are causing you distress and what could/needs to be done to mitigate these?

Functioning  in terms of jumping the hoops of employment and the responsibilities of paying the bills etc is a stress for many,but putting ASC in the mix can make the experience even more mentally and emotionally demanding (as well as extremely tiring).

best wishes to you

Ellie

• Hi Starbuck

Firstly, are you diagnosed as on the spectrum? Secondly, does you employer and to that effect is there scope for you to request reasonable adjustments at work?  Have you been able to identify what the issues are that are causing you distress and what could/needs to be done to mitigate these?

Functioning  in terms of jumping the hoops of employment and the responsibilities of paying the bills etc is a stress for many,but putting ASC in the mix can make the experience even more mentally and emotionally demanding (as well as extremely tiring).

best wishes to you

Ellie

Children
  • Hi Ellie,

Good to hear from you - I have been quiet lately on the forums as I just don't have the energy to respond in the evenings or weekends.  I am diagnosed and my employer is aware as well.  I have had a couple of shutdowns which has worried them a bit, but I don't think they know how to approach the whole subject of reasonable adjustments.  I have flagged some concerns I have in relation to future business developments, but I am waiting on the outcomes from that.  My boss is reluctant to talk about the subject for whatever reason and we both struggle to communicate so it is difficult.

I feel things are far more overly complicated than they need to be in the workplace sometimes and I feel this all the more when I am burnout and my patience is wearing.

All the best Ellie.