Mishearing sounds as words.

Hi. Does anyone else get this when they are stressed in particular? A slammed door can be a swear word, scuffling noises can be a whole shopping list of items full of s sounds.  Eg sellotape, sandwich, shut, cyber etc. Birds have inane conversations with nature, including worms. Rhythms instantly become words, often before my brain has understood the actual sound. My stomach noises can be a man saying something even. The wind is more likely to be a woman. External wind, I mean!. No. I’m not hearing voices. I’m creating them out of existing sounds. 

And if anyone else recognises this is there a name for it? Just wondering as I never found the right way to describe it. 

Parents
  • Yes. If I'm tired or especially anxious things can become very, very, strange. I'm a synaesthete as well as being Autistic. So words have colours, colours have sounds and I will interpret sound in strange ways too. I've mentioned it a lot of times here but Olga Bogdashina is a very important expert to me. She has several lectures on YouTube and has written several books on how sensory input can be interpreted by people on the spectrum. I think reading her book Sensory Perceptual Issues in Autism and Asperger Syndrome: Different Sensory Experiences, Different Perceptual Worlds, really helped me turn a corner. I thought I was Schizophrenic for most of my adult life.

You most probably aren't going mad! Besides sometimes the weird stuff is fun!

• Thanks Cloudy Mountains. I was misdiagnosed as schizophrenic amongst all the other labels. I will read that book if I can find it. Yes, the weird stuff can be fun at times, but not fun I can share with anyone! 

Reply Children
No Data