Reducing sensory overload in malls, discos/clubs and the classroom

I struggle more with the lighting but the sound in discos/clubs can get a bit much.

In an attempt to try and stop avoiding these places, I have a new job which involves these environments, I wondered what my best options might be.

prescription sunglasses and the small sponge in ear ear defenders?

are there any better or more discrete options?

Parents
  • Have you considered a baseball cap? That could reduce the harshness of direct overhead lighting, and maybe wouldn't be out of place working in a club.

I don't have hypersensitivities that I notice, but sometimes wear sponge earplugs at work or when trying to sleep. I hear they may cause or aggravate tinnitus, though, and if you really need to block out sound you need wax ones or ear defenders. Rather than the expensive electronic ear defenders, you can get builders' ear protection for about £20 from a hardware shop... someone might think they're 'cans' and mistake you for the DJ!

I don't know if there's scientific evidence behind Irlen lenses, or they're a scam. Finally, I'd just avoid shopping centres unless absolutely necessary. I find them deeply unpleasant and I don't think it's for sensory reasons.

• Have you considered a baseball cap? That could reduce the harshness of direct overhead lighting, and maybe wouldn't be out of place working in a club.

I don't have hypersensitivities that I notice, but sometimes wear sponge earplugs at work or when trying to sleep. I hear they may cause or aggravate tinnitus, though, and if you really need to block out sound you need wax ones or ear defenders. Rather than the expensive electronic ear defenders, you can get builders' ear protection for about £20 from a hardware shop... someone might think they're 'cans' and mistake you for the DJ!

I don't know if there's scientific evidence behind Irlen lenses, or they're a scam. Finally, I'd just avoid shopping centres unless absolutely necessary. I find them deeply unpleasant and I don't think it's for sensory reasons.

Children
  • Funnily enough, I have been looking into a cap for that reason. It could be a cheap thing to try.

I find them deeply unpleasant and I don't think it's for sensory reasons.” They are. I don’t understand the appeal at all. Then again I feel the same about clubs and discos. It’s more of a case of sometimes needing to rather than wanting too.