Reducing sensory overload in malls, discos/clubs and the classroom

I struggle more with the lighting but the sound in discos/clubs can get a bit much.

In an attempt to try and stop avoiding these places, I have a new job which involves these environments, I wondered what my best options might be.

prescription sunglasses and the small sponge in ear ear defenders?

are there any better or more discrete options?

Parents
  • Avoiding certain environments can be more healthy than forcing yourself into them.

I would definitely need earplugs in a disco. The other option is noise cancelling headphones, but those aren't exactly less noticeable. I don't think anyone would notice earplugs, unles they're looking for them, and I don't think anyone would criticise you for wearing them anyway. They certainly wouldn't have any right to do so.

As for lighting, rather than sunglasses, perhaps tinted glasses would be helpful and less noticeable. There are also the type of glasses that get darker the higher the light level. I assume that it is the flourescent lighting that bothers you. For me, I think it's the way they buzz and the way they flash when the tube is getting old, and there's nothing that can stop that except changing the tube.

• I do have reacting lenses for my normal prescription glasses but they only work outside so presume it’s a uv thing?. They are ok but could be darker and cover the sides. For me it is the glare and the flickering/moving electrical lighting. I was hoping sunglasses might at least reduce the effect.

• I do have reacting lenses for my normal prescription glasses but they only work outside so presume it’s a uv thing?. They are ok but could be darker and cover the sides. For me it is the glare and the flickering/moving electrical lighting. I was hoping sunglasses might at least reduce the effect.

Children
No Data