Mild diarrhea

I have been experiencing mild diarrhea for the past month, do I need to worry?

Parents
  • Hi Kimberley

The best person to consult over such matters if you have worries is your doctor.

Having said that, diet plays a part as does stress and anxiety.  In the very short term, you could increase the amount of food that is known to be constipating, like processed and fried food and see if this helps.  I do not mean do this to excess, but as part of a balanced diet.  Also increase the amount of fibre to increase the bulk. Fizzy drinks (coca-cola was originally invented as some sort of medication) can also help prevent the problem.  But increasing them to excess could make the problem go the other way by giving you constipation..

You may also have developed a sensitivity to an ingredient in some of the food you eat.  Or the recipe of something may have been altered to include an ingredient to which you are sensitive.  Things like 'spices' in the ingredients cover a multitude of sins.  A common ingredient in many foods is 'onion powder' and this can cause problems - it certainly does with me, both in not being able to stand the taste and givng me bowel problems.  Also lettuce, radishes and cabbage do the same thing with me.  Perhaps there is something seasonal you are eating which may explain that it has happened over the past month.

But especially if the problem persists, make an appointment with your GP.  The reassurance could ease your problem by removing your worry.

• Hi Kimberley

The best person to consult over such matters if you have worries is your doctor.

Having said that, diet plays a part as does stress and anxiety.  In the very short term, you could increase the amount of food that is known to be constipating, like processed and fried food and see if this helps.  I do not mean do this to excess, but as part of a balanced diet.  Also increase the amount of fibre to increase the bulk. Fizzy drinks (coca-cola was originally invented as some sort of medication) can also help prevent the problem.  But increasing them to excess could make the problem go the other way by giving you constipation..

You may also have developed a sensitivity to an ingredient in some of the food you eat.  Or the recipe of something may have been altered to include an ingredient to which you are sensitive.  Things like 'spices' in the ingredients cover a multitude of sins.  A common ingredient in many foods is 'onion powder' and this can cause problems - it certainly does with me, both in not being able to stand the taste and givng me bowel problems.  Also lettuce, radishes and cabbage do the same thing with me.  Perhaps there is something seasonal you are eating which may explain that it has happened over the past month.

But especially if the problem persists, make an appointment with your GP.  The reassurance could ease your problem by removing your worry.

Children
No Data