Irrational fear, OCD or both?

Like everyone else, I have gone through life having to overcome certain fears, some rational, some not so.  However; recently a certain fear has been developing to a point I think it might be verging on unhealthy and irrational.

For some unknown reason, I developed a phobia of losing my house, more specifically, it falling down.  I have researched subsidence and heave to the point I probably know more about it than a structural engineer!  It started with me becoming obsessed with small hairline cracks due to natural movement, which lead to be looking into the foundations of the house, the type of soil it is built on and common problems with properties of a certain age.  This has developed to the point I know every single visible crack on the outside and inside my property and I monitor them regularly on a daily basis.  I appreciate this is irrational and that I am probably obsessing over nothing, but I now have to inspect the cracks daily and have an internal sense of dread that seems to be getting worse as if I am waiting for some catastrophic to happen to my house.

My home is the only place I can truly relax, so to have my sacred place become a place of dread is a big deal for me.  I am becoming more anxious and agitated and I regularly have dreams of my house falling down or disappearing down a sinkhole.  This is a fear that is now becoming constant and beyond my ability to control and manage.

I have been through the motions of tackling it logically and assessing the probability of these fears happening, and although they are very unlikely, the fact that they could be likely at all is enough to drive it in my mind.

I'm not sure what to do now to try and manage things better.  Counselling, psychotherapy and CBT are out of the question as the services near to me don't cater for people with ASD.

Has anyone else had phobias suddenly manifest like this?  There is obviously a root cause, I just can't get to it at present.

Parents
  • Isn't subsidence a very slow process? It's not as though your house is going to suddenly collapse. Given that it was built during the Victorian era, if it were going to collapse or be consumed in a sinkhole, wouldn't it have done so by now?

I find it strange that you say that services in your area don't cater for people with ASD. Individual counselling should not depend on that, and if they are deliberately denying you service because of your particular condition, that is discrimination.

I'm in a stress reduction course right now, and it has helped me stop having feelings of dread similar to those you describe (not about my house falling down, but about something else that is unlikely to happen) even though the course is technically directed toward neurotypicals.Maybe something similar will help you.

What I find funny from being in the course is that a lot of the symptoms of stress are similar to ASD traits, so basically a neurotypical under stress temporarily becomes one of us.

• Aren't stress, anxiety, and phobias experienced basically the same by everyone (regardless of ND or NT) but it's the the types of things that cause them that are different? We are all basically the same, I think. 

Reply Children
No Data