Obsessive friendships

I really miss my best friend but at the same time I feel really distant from him. We met at our ASD youth club, has a lot in common with me and he lives on my street. We used to hang out a lot which has lead me to having some anxiety that has made me distant and anxious about hanging out with him outside of our club. 

He is very good friend to me; he’s a good listener, supports me through tough times, accepts me for who I am, doesn’t judge me and makes me feel positive about life. For these reasons, I feel he is my only friend. 

I still see him at the club and I can get very clingy with him. I said to him I worry I am being too clingy and he says not to worry about it as he’s the clingy and cuddly type as well. He was clingy with me when we first started hanging out but I got to the point where I just couldn’t let go. 

I’m always wanting a cuddle from him and I miss him so much I cry some nights. This makes me feel physically sick and too anxious to ask to hang out because of my symptoms. I am on the waiting list for counselling but it has been over 6 months and I feel like I’m falling apart. 

I had an obsessive friendship with another friend before which got out of hand. Learning from this previous situation has made me feel very weary of my anxieties. 

I really could do with some temporary advice on how I can cope with my obsessive feelings. People often say to me I need to hang out with my other friends but sometimes, I feel it doesn’t always help. 

Parents
  • I often find when we spend time with a certain person too often we start to act like them and pick up on words they use or actions, mayb this is what you are confused with, you just need to be yourself and get some support with this, and not forget who u are, it’s good to have more than one person you spend time with this is why social groups can be good.

• I often find when we spend time with a certain person too often we start to act like them and pick up on words they use or actions, mayb this is what you are confused with, you just need to be yourself and get some support with this, and not forget who u are, it’s good to have more than one person you spend time with this is why social groups can be good.

Children
No Data