Active Noise-Cancelling Earplugs

Whilst continuing my search for ways to decrease the noise I hear in today's (selfish) society, I came across QuietOn active noise-cancelling earplugs (https://quieton.com/). Does anyone on the forum own a pair? If so, please post a review in reply to this posting.

I know Bose are working on a pair of 'sleepbuds' (https://www.bose.com/en_us/better_with_bose/better_sleep.html) which take a different approach to QuietOn and are aimed at giving users better sleep. Unfortunately, the 'sleepbuds' will not be available until later this year.

I have a pair of Bose noise-cancelling headphones for indoor use and a set of 3M Peltor X5A ear defenders for general use, however, I cannot easily sleep in either.

I like active noise-cancelling because it produces a quieter environment than passive options, although I am also looking at a passive options (e.g. wax earplugs) for general use and for sleeping.

Any related comments will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Parents Reply Children
  • I have to say that they are quite expensive.

I will have to wait for the price to go down.

• I had hoped they would be cheaper.

• Having read the review mentioning a whizzing sound, it does not seem possible to say with certainty what caused the sound. The reviewer states "I am pretty sure that this is a side effect of active noise cancellation" but it is unclear what they mean. The duration of "a longer period of continuous usage" is also unclear.

Some people can hear a very low white noise type of sound using active noise cancellation and perhaps that is what is referred to.

• I have not read all of this post or the links but a couple of years ago probably before I was diagnosed I bought a pair of atenuated (sp?) ear plugs in the pharmacy section of sainsbury's but never used them. I found them a couple of weeks ago and have been carrying them with me and using them since. The ear plugs are made of silicon and there is the choice of two filters to plug in depending on whether you want to filter out high frequency or low frequency noise. Ideally I would like a plug which filtered out both but You can't  have everything for the price. I don't remember how much they were but I doubt I would have paid much more than £5 for them as I would have been in a depressive phase at the time. The carrying pouch just has "Go" on it which I think may be Sainsbury's own brand of travel accessories. Worth trying at the price in case they are sufficient to meet your needs and as something to keep you saner while you find the money for fancier earphones if they don't. I also use the pouch as a handy place to keep any loose change I have although there is a limit to how much change it will hold. I think I still have the packaging they came in if you have any problems.

• The same. Too expensive for me.

• The ones that @Taltunes mentioned look to be still available on Amazon, for around £9. If you search for "Go travel, Q-Zone Noise Reduction Earplugs" you will find them.

They might be worth ago until the prices come down on some of the fancier ones!

• Thank you so much for this valuable advice!

• I have just bought myself another two pairs - I lost one of my first pair when I forgot to take them out before I went to sleep when I was away from home one weekend. They are £8 not £5 but still a lot cheaper than some of the alternatives.