Lack of thirst

Hi my 16 year old daughter was diagnosed with high functioning autism in August 2017.  She has never drunk much and says she never experiences thirst.  This resulted in her being hospitalised this weekend for rehydration.  Even though my daughter is very intelligent I can't get her to believe that she needs to drink more.  Even though she ended up in hospital she had no physical shmptoms of dehydration, it was a blood test that highlighted it.  As far as my daughter is concerned no physical symptoms = not important.  Has anyone else any experience of no sensation of thirst with their ASC CHILD/adult?  Thank you.

Parents
  • I have issues with getting dehydrated often. More often before I developed some drinking policies. I tend to forget about it when I am focused and if it takes hours to complete something I can go for hours without drinking until I realise I am feinty and my mouth is dry and I am about to collapse, plus if it is manual labour I sweat a lot, then I can go for 1,5h only without drinking to exhibit those symptoms..I am thirsty all the time as well when I realise it.

Nowadays I carry a bottle with water with added flavourants (I like effervescent pills all flavours, I buy cheap ones from ALDI) everywhere I go including work. Bottles get lost, broken, deferomed often, so it could be extra cost, but I am reusing all bottles that I bought as long as they serve their purpose. I like sparkling water as well, so aften I buy those and reuse bottle after. I avoid pure water, like tap water or cheap mineral water, or previously boiled water from a kettle, they only make me more thirsty after few sips.

I did not know it's autistic related issue as well.

• I have issues with getting dehydrated often. More often before I developed some drinking policies. I tend to forget about it when I am focused and if it takes hours to complete something I can go for hours without drinking until I realise I am feinty and my mouth is dry and I am about to collapse, plus if it is manual labour I sweat a lot, then I can go for 1,5h only without drinking to exhibit those symptoms..I am thirsty all the time as well when I realise it.

Nowadays I carry a bottle with water with added flavourants (I like effervescent pills all flavours, I buy cheap ones from ALDI) everywhere I go including work. Bottles get lost, broken, deferomed often, so it could be extra cost, but I am reusing all bottles that I bought as long as they serve their purpose. I like sparkling water as well, so aften I buy those and reuse bottle after. I avoid pure water, like tap water or cheap mineral water, or previously boiled water from a kettle, they only make me more thirsty after few sips.

I did not know it's autistic related issue as well.

Children
No Data