TW - ASD and suicide prevention

Are there any suicide prevention support services aimed specifically at people with ASD? I'm not sure what I'm actually asking for in particular. I have a strong urge to hurt myself but traditional helplines are not good for me because I can't speak on the phone. I use the Samaritans email service, but I have noted a pattern in their responses which makes me suspect that I might not be communicating with an actual person on the other side. Besides, I have a fairly immediate plan and email response takes some time. 

I just want someone to understand that I don't want to be autistic any more. The daily effort I expend to do things that other people take for granted is greater than the sum of the rewards I get for trying. The only way I can think of to get a rest is to switch my brain off permanently. I would appreciate someone who could guide me towards a different strategy that works. 

Parents
  • If possible call your GP and make an urgent appointment. The GP should make sure you get appropriate help and support.

If it’s outside GP hours you could call  111  to reach the NHS 111 service:   http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/Emergencyandurgentcareservices/Pages/NHS-111.aspx

The Samaritans also provide confidential non-judgemental emotional support, 24 hours a day on 116 123, or by email on jo@samaritans.org.

MIND have information pages on coping with self harm or suicidal feelings based on the experiences of people who’ve been through it that you may find helpful.

If you are ever very close to doing something to hurt yourself you should call 999 or go to your nearest A&E department. There should be someone there to support you and make sure you get ongoing support.

If you need help with an autism related issue, the helpline can be emailed on autismhelpline@nas.org.uk or they’re open Monday to Thursday 10am-4pm and Friday 9am-3pm on 0808 800 4104.

• Thank you, I appreciate your reply.

I have used all of these resources in the past week or so in an effort to stop myself executing my plan. The Samaritans communicated with me over the course of several days, my GP sent me away with a flea in my ear (because I was previously diagnosed with a borderline personality i am often labelled an attention seeker and this is the same reason I have been turned away from emergency departments unless I have taken steps to hurt myself slready) and I have read the mind pages many, many times. I even spoke to a priest about how I was feeling, despite the fact I am an atheist. He was not helpful.

I remain hopeful that someone will be able to provide an alternative perspective before my time runs out. 

• Thank you, I appreciate your reply.

I have used all of these resources in the past week or so in an effort to stop myself executing my plan. The Samaritans communicated with me over the course of several days, my GP sent me away with a flea in my ear (because I was previously diagnosed with a borderline personality i am often labelled an attention seeker and this is the same reason I have been turned away from emergency departments unless I have taken steps to hurt myself slready) and I have read the mind pages many, many times. I even spoke to a priest about how I was feeling, despite the fact I am an atheist. He was not helpful.

I remain hopeful that someone will be able to provide an alternative perspective before my time runs out. 

Children
No Data