Adult Seeking Diagnosis

I am a young adult currently at University and I have suspected for a while now that I have AS.  I have always been very hidden about my emotions etc and haven't really spoken to anyone about this.  From what I have seen from the symptoms and online testing (although I'm aware these may be nonsense) it seems to fit exactly the way I feel.

Having seen many stories from others who have been diagnosed in adulthood I think this seems to be the best way forward in order for me to either get some closure or start to deal with it.  I'm aware of the process for a diagnosis, however I'm absolutely terrified to speak to my GP about this, especially if it turns out I'm just being paranoid.  Is there any way to bypass this stage and simply go straight to the psychiatrist (not sure how I would cope with this either, but it would be one less step) or otherwise does anyone else have any tips on how they approached their GP?

Any help at all really would be greatly appreciated.

Parents
  • Hi, my fisrt post on this forum was similar to this a few weeks back. I basically went to the GP's with my girlfriend, mention the scores on test, how I struggled to open up and dint feel the urge to cry often and when I did it was frustration. I mentioned eye contact which he was trying to get with me, and I tried to give him as much as possible but failed miserable. He noticed I was struggling and got the answer from me he needed for a referal. 

It wasnt as bad as I thought. I mentioned about struggling in a work environment too.

However I must say...I got a dyslexia diagnosis at uni, It's easier to deal with uni people rather than a gp. They do it all for you (setting appointments up etc), were with the GP you have to cancell stuff and fit it around them. Going through the uni will probably get your support quicker as they will have time frames. TBH other support such as councilling will be way better than NHS too. 

For dylexia diagnosis at uni it took me 3 months for an appointment with an Ed Psyche  and 3 months for a report.

Some folk were kind enough to advise and put links on the thread I started. Maybe it's worth reading that thread as some of the advice will be relevant? Its only a few post below.

• Hi, my fisrt post on this forum was similar to this a few weeks back. I basically went to the GP's with my girlfriend, mention the scores on test, how I struggled to open up and dint feel the urge to cry often and when I did it was frustration. I mentioned eye contact which he was trying to get with me, and I tried to give him as much as possible but failed miserable. He noticed I was struggling and got the answer from me he needed for a referal. 

It wasnt as bad as I thought. I mentioned about struggling in a work environment too.

However I must say...I got a dyslexia diagnosis at uni, It's easier to deal with uni people rather than a gp. They do it all for you (setting appointments up etc), were with the GP you have to cancell stuff and fit it around them. Going through the uni will probably get your support quicker as they will have time frames. TBH other support such as councilling will be way better than NHS too. 

For dylexia diagnosis at uni it took me 3 months for an appointment with an Ed Psyche  and 3 months for a report.

Some folk were kind enough to advise and put links on the thread I started. Maybe it's worth reading that thread as some of the advice will be relevant? Its only a few post below.

Children
No Data