PIP face to face assessment advice

Hi, well here is the answer to my last post! We have to go for a face to face this Thursday!!. My son has turned 16 and is going from dla to pip.

After reading the booklet I am confused as it says about taking a companion as they "can add in anything that helps you explain the difficulties you face more clearly, or help you answer any questions that you're asked" yet everything I see online says they don't listen to anyone with the claimant!!. Should I point this out to the HP if they appear to be ignoring me?.

Also if am my son's appointee surely the finance question is a formality as the dwp has already decided my son cannot deal with his finances!!.

Again I am really worried he will just say he can do everything!! Is it worth me doing a care diary between now and then?.

Has anyone on here been to one of these? And have you any info on what they ask them?. I really appreciate any help.

Thanks

Parents
  • I've been to two and have been awarded enhanced rate daily living at both. As misfit61 mentioned, the benefit isn't given out solely based on what label you have. Its a points game and the benefit will only be awarded if you meet enough points across the different categories. Unfortunately, a number of people do lie on their form (I work with someone who did that) so you will be asked a number of questions based on what you have written to clarify that the statements you have made are true. At both of my assessments I have taken along supplementary independent evidence, which proved what I was saying was true. This included PDOC letters, OH reports, fit notes, a letter from a manager at work etc. Is your son still attending school or college? If he is could you get one of his teachers to write a witness statement. This would certainly help if your son is likely to lie.

I read a lot of horror stories on the internet before my first assessment and that caused a lot of needless worry. My first assessor was really lovely and went out of her way to put me at ease. The second one came across as really quiet and didn't talk much but she was very efficient at her job.

• I've been to two and have been awarded enhanced rate daily living at both. As misfit61 mentioned, the benefit isn't given out solely based on what label you have. Its a points game and the benefit will only be awarded if you meet enough points across the different categories. Unfortunately, a number of people do lie on their form (I work with someone who did that) so you will be asked a number of questions based on what you have written to clarify that the statements you have made are true. At both of my assessments I have taken along supplementary independent evidence, which proved what I was saying was true. This included PDOC letters, OH reports, fit notes, a letter from a manager at work etc. Is your son still attending school or college? If he is could you get one of his teachers to write a witness statement. This would certainly help if your son is likely to lie.

I read a lot of horror stories on the internet before my first assessment and that caused a lot of needless worry. My first assessor was really lovely and went out of her way to put me at ease. The second one came across as really quiet and didn't talk much but she was very efficient at her job.

Children