AUTISTIC PEOPLE ON THE (N.A.S.) INTERNET, AND "HOW-TO" USE IT.

I am new to this WHOLE "Internet/post/thread/blog" business... but I am NOT new to being able to write lucidly or how to use computers at all. NAS gives some "rules" but they are not all that clear. Mostly they say that you should do things which 'are okay as if the entire affair were RATED UNDER 15 if it were a classified as a movie'. But AUTISTIC persons like me make mistakes in "INTERNET-MANNER" without realising it... and so this "thread" or whatever invites rules CLARIFYING anything. I hope anyone understands, and "posts" something helpful.
For examples: One *not* stated rule seems to be: DO NOT WRITE IN CAPITAL LETTERS! But there seems to be no other way to emphasise certain words, e.g. no ITALLICS are available.
Another thing I have noticed is that people are very quick to tap the "unlike" button, but are much less likely to tap the "like" button, even in giving a genuine "Thank You", and yet all "views" are counted anyway.
Lastly, on some devices, "hints and tips" flashes up and then disappears so fast, that it is as if it is only there to satisfy "legal reasons" rather than to be helpful to anyone...
...I also attempt to start this "thread/blog" in apology at anyone I have so far "offended" but I don't know WHY OR HOW I did so!
Thus I also appreciate feedback about "understanding" or "hate" in general - for "AUTISTIC people on the Internet" ONLY (not concerning society in general, please)... For even here, on NAS, there seems to be no-place where Autistic Adults THEMSELVES have a forum... or for those "Autistic 'children' who know how to program a computer"...?

Parents
  • Guess if you say WOW nobody will be offended (as long as nobody thinks it was being sarcastic, that is). It's all a matter of context. Guess you are doing quite a common thing - trying to work out the rules and then applying them very strictly to everything while everybody else seems to get where they apply and where not (without even thinking about it). That is, on here not everyone does and it is a bit sad when people feel like they have to leave for that reason or are actually kicked out. Hasn't happened to me yet, but I'm certainly the type for it too. Perhaps the like/dislike button was not visible when you switched devices because you weren't logged on yet? Although you could post, so maybe there was no reason... I can't reply to anything but the first post in a thread on Edge, and my router doesn't always seem to like other browsers... Don't (or "do not" - I can't see what would be wrong about that, but then it isn't my first language, so I have 23 years less of getting used to what sounds "normal") get worked up about it, they are not that important, sometimes they do quite the opposite than they say. I don't think bullet points are bad, think many people actually struggle to read long continuous paragraphs. It just makes it all look a bit more direct, no soothing packaging around it, so that may be seen as offensive.

As somebody asked that in the other thread, I think everyone has the right to feel offended, also by an autistic person, and to voice it. Best of course without accusing each other but simply stating that this is how it came across and that it did hurt, but when feeling hurt this is hard to do, so is sometimes just not possible. We should try to accept apologies and then move on though. This is where there is perhaps some understanding gap between NT and autistic people because the apology, written or said while being emotionally quite stirred up already, may not sound right, it may sound sarcastic or as if it isn't actually honest, and then the whole thing spirals down. So if anyone has the capacity to give someone else the benefit of the doubt then I think it's good to use that. This capacity depends a lot on circumstances and nobody has it always and that's alright, it would already make a difference to do it when we can.

An issue playing quite a big role with this (at least for me) is the inflation of "thank you" and "sorry". If you really mean it you have to say it lots of times, otherwise it may not be seen as real, but not always - it can also come across as sarcastic, in that case you shouldn't repeat it at all... Yes, I'm also confused. I was accused of not thanking people and couldn't understand this because I genuinely did, also when someone had just done their normal job rather than doing me a favour or going an extra mile. Until it occurred to me that I tend to say it once and really mean it (but possibly lacking the right facial expression to go with it - not intentionally). That's not enough to some, so they don't register the first one at all, it seems.  

• Guess if you say WOW nobody will be offended (as long as nobody thinks it was being sarcastic, that is). It's all a matter of context. Guess you are doing quite a common thing - trying to work out the rules and then applying them very strictly to everything while everybody else seems to get where they apply and where not (without even thinking about it). That is, on here not everyone does and it is a bit sad when people feel like they have to leave for that reason or are actually kicked out. Hasn't happened to me yet, but I'm certainly the type for it too. Perhaps the like/dislike button was not visible when you switched devices because you weren't logged on yet? Although you could post, so maybe there was no reason... I can't reply to anything but the first post in a thread on Edge, and my router doesn't always seem to like other browsers... Don't (or "do not" - I can't see what would be wrong about that, but then it isn't my first language, so I have 23 years less of getting used to what sounds "normal") get worked up about it, they are not that important, sometimes they do quite the opposite than they say. I don't think bullet points are bad, think many people actually struggle to read long continuous paragraphs. It just makes it all look a bit more direct, no soothing packaging around it, so that may be seen as offensive.

As somebody asked that in the other thread, I think everyone has the right to feel offended, also by an autistic person, and to voice it. Best of course without accusing each other but simply stating that this is how it came across and that it did hurt, but when feeling hurt this is hard to do, so is sometimes just not possible. We should try to accept apologies and then move on though. This is where there is perhaps some understanding gap between NT and autistic people because the apology, written or said while being emotionally quite stirred up already, may not sound right, it may sound sarcastic or as if it isn't actually honest, and then the whole thing spirals down. So if anyone has the capacity to give someone else the benefit of the doubt then I think it's good to use that. This capacity depends a lot on circumstances and nobody has it always and that's alright, it would already make a difference to do it when we can.

An issue playing quite a big role with this (at least for me) is the inflation of "thank you" and "sorry". If you really mean it you have to say it lots of times, otherwise it may not be seen as real, but not always - it can also come across as sarcastic, in that case you shouldn't repeat it at all... Yes, I'm also confused. I was accused of not thanking people and couldn't understand this because I genuinely did, also when someone had just done their normal job rather than doing me a favour or going an extra mile. Until it occurred to me that I tend to say it once and really mean it (but possibly lacking the right facial expression to go with it - not intentionally). That's not enough to some, so they don't register the first one at all, it seems.  

Children
No Data