AUTISTIC PEOPLE ON THE (N.A.S.) INTERNET, AND "HOW-TO" USE IT.

I am new to this WHOLE "Internet/post/thread/blog" business... but I am NOT new to being able to write lucidly or how to use computers at all. NAS gives some "rules" but they are not all that clear. Mostly they say that you should do things which 'are okay as if the entire affair were RATED UNDER 15 if it were a classified as a movie'. But AUTISTIC persons like me make mistakes in "INTERNET-MANNER" without realising it... and so this "thread" or whatever invites rules CLARIFYING anything. I hope anyone understands, and "posts" something helpful.
For examples: One *not* stated rule seems to be: DO NOT WRITE IN CAPITAL LETTERS! But there seems to be no other way to emphasise certain words, e.g. no ITALLICS are available.
Another thing I have noticed is that people are very quick to tap the "unlike" button, but are much less likely to tap the "like" button, even in giving a genuine "Thank You", and yet all "views" are counted anyway.
Lastly, on some devices, "hints and tips" flashes up and then disappears so fast, that it is as if it is only there to satisfy "legal reasons" rather than to be helpful to anyone...
...I also attempt to start this "thread/blog" in apology at anyone I have so far "offended" but I don't know WHY OR HOW I did so!
Thus I also appreciate feedback about "understanding" or "hate" in general - for "AUTISTIC people on the Internet" ONLY (not concerning society in general, please)... For even here, on NAS, there seems to be no-place where Autistic Adults THEMSELVES have a forum... or for those "Autistic 'children' who know how to program a computer"...?

Parents
  • Me, yet again, and some miscellaneous "issues"... both "Autistic" and "Technical".
    - It is SO weird to "reply" to "myself", in order to post anything...
    - Whilst I was writing upon a "Tablet", I know that I said to try to "like" anyone.. But then I next access all of this on a laptop, and there is NO such button/information concerning "like/dislike/unlike". I know that it is a "software" issue, but this is rather the point: a website may CLAIM to offer certain things and certain assistance/help... but it is not always be able to DO what the writers say that it does. But the "User" is the one to suffer.
    - Lastly here...I wanted to write about the "Warnings" from NAS themselves.
    "rule 4 - Be nice to one another and enjoy chatting with others. We encourage conversation and respectful debate; however, insulting posts or comments making personal jibes will not be tolerated."
    ...What is "nice", "enjoyable" and even "chat" differs so greatly from person-to-person, that - even discounting being Autistic or not - this is *totally* not a helpful guideline. Some people "enjoy" flowers, singing, or classical opera...while just as many persons "enjoy" insulting, bullying, or acting out certain "illegalities" which I shan't specify here. "Nice", "chat" and "Proper language" is also not specific: children and "movies rated under 15" do not contain *certain* words... and yet even in front of children such words are now used by many in casual, "nice", and "enjoyable" conversation.
    --- Actually in my own experience, I have had "children" as well "swearing like a trooper" or "effing and blinding" at me. And on forums/posts/threads... *they* are also allowed to use excessive capitals such as in "!!!!OMG!!! THAT IS SOOOOO FUNNY!!! LOL!!!"... but adults can't do any of this kind of thing on here.

All of this is more and more of what is confusing.

• Hi DC I see you are up late like me Slight smile Wow I actually made a smile work!

You are not the first (nor will you be the last) to run into the mods on here. I can think of quite a few including me who have "crossed" the line and had posts deleted because they were too honest and came across as offensive.

I guess we have to remember that many posters on here are not autistic and struggling to cope with their own situations and problems so we have to be careful not to offend even if it is obvious to us what the problem might be.

I am lucky to be at the high functioning end of the spectrum and sometimes forget many are not so lucky.

Did you watch Chris Packham's documentary tonight? I could not sleep after watching it,  it was so good.

Any way don't give up, take care, Laddie.

• Hi DC I see you are up late like me Slight smile Wow I actually made a smile work!

You are not the first (nor will you be the last) to run into the mods on here. I can think of quite a few including me who have "crossed" the line and had posts deleted because they were too honest and came across as offensive.

I guess we have to remember that many posters on here are not autistic and struggling to cope with their own situations and problems so we have to be careful not to offend even if it is obvious to us what the problem might be.

I am lucky to be at the high functioning end of the spectrum and sometimes forget many are not so lucky.

Did you watch Chris Packham's documentary tonight? I could not sleep after watching it,  it was so good.

Any way don't give up, take care, Laddie.

Children
  • To Laddie49.
    Three things for me in this reply.

UP LATE. Yes, I guess I stay "up late" much, since the whole of the UK including the Internet, is much quieter then (except at weekends)...

EMOJIS. Another Technical "issue" the reasons for which I began this "thread". On my Tablet/E-Reader, I can see this emoji. But on the iPod which I receive "messages" or "updates" and whatnot... it is completely not there. (Despite the "keyboard" for it being loaded and I CAN type them in as well.)

"Mods". Um, to be honest, it took me three reads and a whole day to figure out what "mods" meant...! This is another topic about "misunderstanding/confusion", and "slang" and/or "jargon" for which this thread is started. For instance:
    NT - NeuroTypical (not ASD)
    ASD - Autistic Spectrum Disorder
    AS - Autistic Spectrum, OR Asperger's Syndrome
    ND - NeuroDiverse (includes AS, ASD, NT)
    But for ASPERGER UNITED Magazine, I would not know what NT, AS, ND... mean.
    For the sake of "newbies" (including me?!), I would start a whole new thread, including general Internet terms as well. (It is why I often write "thread/forum/topic", or "post/reply", because I don't know which term to specify for THIS exact place and message.) If all of that "jargon" is specified elsewhere upon the NAS website, then can someone tell me (& everyone else?) where, exactly...

I know I said three topics, but this is a fourth answer, which I think another "thread" is talking about. Mr. Chris Packham's documentary. No, I didn't see it, but I have read much from him concerning Autism and his two-then-one dogs, "Itchy and Scratchy". I know a bit about dogs and pets... but with regards to me, that is another topic altogether...