AUTISTIC PEOPLE ON THE (N.A.S.) INTERNET, AND "HOW-TO" USE IT.

I am new to this WHOLE "Internet/post/thread/blog" business... but I am NOT new to being able to write lucidly or how to use computers at all. NAS gives some "rules" but they are not all that clear. Mostly they say that you should do things which 'are okay as if the entire affair were RATED UNDER 15 if it were a classified as a movie'. But AUTISTIC persons like me make mistakes in "INTERNET-MANNER" without realising it... and so this "thread" or whatever invites rules CLARIFYING anything. I hope anyone understands, and "posts" something helpful.
For examples: One *not* stated rule seems to be: DO NOT WRITE IN CAPITAL LETTERS! But there seems to be no other way to emphasise certain words, e.g. no ITALLICS are available.
Another thing I have noticed is that people are very quick to tap the "unlike" button, but are much less likely to tap the "like" button, even in giving a genuine "Thank You", and yet all "views" are counted anyway.
Lastly, on some devices, "hints and tips" flashes up and then disappears so fast, that it is as if it is only there to satisfy "legal reasons" rather than to be helpful to anyone...
...I also attempt to start this "thread/blog" in apology at anyone I have so far "offended" but I don't know WHY OR HOW I did so!
Thus I also appreciate feedback about "understanding" or "hate" in general - for "AUTISTIC people on the Internet" ONLY (not concerning society in general, please)... For even here, on NAS, there seems to be no-place where Autistic Adults THEMSELVES have a forum... or for those "Autistic 'children' who know how to program a computer"...?

Parents
  • Well, I can see myself a lot in what went on today, including the realisation that I caused something I didn't mean and then trying desperately to fix it and it comes across as sarcastic or something... I hope it won't get interpreted that way. Think we have the same issue - many people would prefer to just not hear anything about the thing we did wrong, but we just can't leave it, we have to fix it, at any cost, and by trying to do so we keep digging the hole deeper. I've decided to try distracting myself with something else the next time I feel this urge, or maybe try once but no more because otherwise I'm just making it worse. I don't know yet if that's going to work, so can't recommend either way, but perhaps for tonight it's worth a try.

Guess another thing we may have in common is that we probably do realise that something will not be liked by the person it's addressed to, but because of being either very enthusiastic about it or having misunderstood something I tend to say it anyway because it seems important (and objectively seen it may really be, but is either not what I was meant to say or I write it in a way that comes across as far more offensive than I intented).

One thing I really don't like is that passive-aggressive liking business. Sometimes I think it would have been better not to add this option because everyone can say in very few words that they agree or like something. Hope it didn't upset you too much. I agree that having got the label "autistic" doesn't mean that it's o.k. to hurt others, but if it happens, usually unintented, at least in terms of severity, then hurting back is probably not going to help anyone (it certainly makes me more defensive and more the way I'm not supposed to be, guess that's quite common). That hurting back may not really be intented either though, that's probably possible. Don't think it's hate though, more a mixture of feeling hurt and annoyed and perhaps a lack of understanding more as a result of this than a general thing.

• Well, I can see myself a lot in what went on today, including the realisation that I caused something I didn't mean and then trying desperately to fix it and it comes across as sarcastic or something... I hope it won't get interpreted that way. Think we have the same issue - many people would prefer to just not hear anything about the thing we did wrong, but we just can't leave it, we have to fix it, at any cost, and by trying to do so we keep digging the hole deeper. I've decided to try distracting myself with something else the next time I feel this urge, or maybe try once but no more because otherwise I'm just making it worse. I don't know yet if that's going to work, so can't recommend either way, but perhaps for tonight it's worth a try.

Guess another thing we may have in common is that we probably do realise that something will not be liked by the person it's addressed to, but because of being either very enthusiastic about it or having misunderstood something I tend to say it anyway because it seems important (and objectively seen it may really be, but is either not what I was meant to say or I write it in a way that comes across as far more offensive than I intented).

One thing I really don't like is that passive-aggressive liking business. Sometimes I think it would have been better not to add this option because everyone can say in very few words that they agree or like something. Hope it didn't upset you too much. I agree that having got the label "autistic" doesn't mean that it's o.k. to hurt others, but if it happens, usually unintented, at least in terms of severity, then hurting back is probably not going to help anyone (it certainly makes me more defensive and more the way I'm not supposed to be, guess that's quite common). That hurting back may not really be intented either though, that's probably possible. Don't think it's hate though, more a mixture of feeling hurt and annoyed and perhaps a lack of understanding more as a result of this than a general thing.

Children
No Data