To Get A Formal Diagnosis or Not? ADVICE please!

I visited my GP yesterday and spoke to her for the first time about Aspie’s. She said that she would refer me if I wanted but posed the question what would it achieve? Or rather what would I want to achieve? What are my reasons for seeking one? 

I need some opinions and experience about self-diagnosis vs formal diagnosis...I have some reasons already which I will inevitably list at some point...

but for now I’m just interested in a general opinion so I can make the choice a little easier...

many thanks for your helps!

Parents
  • I've been referred by my GP, accepted for diagnosis and am awaiting an appointment.

Why do I want formal diagnosis?  It's information!  I'm curious, I love knowledge and want to know why I am as I am.

What will I do with that information?  Well, it will help if I ever need to change job, will formally explain to my current employees why I react and work in certain ways.  I've already adapted at work by obtaining noise-cancelling headphones which work with the phone and computer - they help cut the background prattle out.

Even thinking of getting the diagnosis has been enlightening - writing my (currently 28 page) document of my history and traits has shown me that it's not just me imagining it or being wierd, but that it's real and has a cause.  Diagnosis, be it formal or otherwise, lets me be easier on myself.  So when I'm greeting people (Hi, rather than 'how are you - doing well?', etc) or abrupt on the 'phone at work, I know it's not me being deliberately rude, but because I can't (easily) help it.

Then again, my wife doesn't wish to seek formal diagnosis - and that's OK.  Her employer, we suspect, has a lot of Aspies working for them in similar roles to her, and it's a profession known for being suitable for Aspies/ HfASD. She has enough knowledge to look out for problems she may encounter.

• I too have been wondering whether to get a formal diagnosis. Like you, I think it will help me to know (and have confirmed) why I am the way I am.

I found writing down every probable Aspie thing in my life quite cathartic, though I am only up to 11 pages so far! Tbh since I figured it out for myself, I haven't had the run of emotions that most others have described, just plain and simple relieved. Relieved that I finally know why. It is enlightening, isn't it?

I think I will go down the formal diagnosis route, and I may quietly mention it to my boss (though I have a sneaking suspicion that he already knows). 

All the best with your appointment and hope you find peace and contentedness at the end of the tunnel

• I too have been wondering whether to get a formal diagnosis. Like you, I think it will help me to know (and have confirmed) why I am the way I am.

I found writing down every probable Aspie thing in my life quite cathartic, though I am only up to 11 pages so far! Tbh since I figured it out for myself, I haven't had the run of emotions that most others have described, just plain and simple relieved. Relieved that I finally know why. It is enlightening, isn't it?

I think I will go down the formal diagnosis route, and I may quietly mention it to my boss (though I have a sneaking suspicion that he already knows). 

All the best with your appointment and hope you find peace and contentedness at the end of the tunnel

Children
No Data