To Get A Formal Diagnosis or Not? ADVICE please!

I visited my GP yesterday and spoke to her for the first time about Aspie’s. She said that she would refer me if I wanted but posed the question what would it achieve? Or rather what would I want to achieve? What are my reasons for seeking one? 

I need some opinions and experience about self-diagnosis vs formal diagnosis...I have some reasons already which I will inevitably list at some point...

but for now I’m just interested in a general opinion so I can make the choice a little easier...

many thanks for your helps!

Parents
  • Thank you all for your input, some confirm what my thoughts and feelings were. 

The validation by a professional to say that it’s a real thing I have is important for me. I want to prove to my estranged parents and family that I exist and have something significant. It’s important for me to get some comfort from knowing I’m not crazy or a failure (in work and friendships). Also, how having Aspie’s would affect my eldest daughter, she’s having issues which are confusing her and causing anxiety, I’m worried that I may have passed on the genes to her, if I have then maybe she can get some support and understanding.

does anyone have concerns about their children and Aspie’s?

• Yes, I have a thirteen old son.....and I know that being ND rather than NT means that I can offer a different perspective....but not a NT one....I encourage friends, sleep overs etc....and try to step back a little x

• Yes, I have a thirteen old son.....and I know that being ND rather than NT means that I can offer a different perspective....but not a NT one....I encourage friends, sleep overs etc....and try to step back a little x

Children
No Data