To Get A Formal Diagnosis or Not? ADVICE please!

I visited my GP yesterday and spoke to her for the first time about Aspie’s. She said that she would refer me if I wanted but posed the question what would it achieve? Or rather what would I want to achieve? What are my reasons for seeking one? 

I need some opinions and experience about self-diagnosis vs formal diagnosis...I have some reasons already which I will inevitably list at some point...

but for now I’m just interested in a general opinion so I can make the choice a little easier...

many thanks for your helps!

Parents
  • Hi Danny, I've been referred and am waiting, who knows how long for.  I feel that I need the official stamp for protection in the future on an official level, not to confirm anything to myself, I know. Like others I am fearful of finally getting to the assessment and not getting a diagnosis but I think I would seek a second opinion. Dr Luke Beardon's book about autism in adults is well worth a read and he advocates that we should be allowed to identify ourselves in the same way as the lbgt community, a notion that had already occurred to me whilst watching the recent gay rights programming on tv.

He also refutes the term diagnosis, suggesting identification instead.

• Hi Danny, I've been referred and am waiting, who knows how long for.  I feel that I need the official stamp for protection in the future on an official level, not to confirm anything to myself, I know. Like others I am fearful of finally getting to the assessment and not getting a diagnosis but I think I would seek a second opinion. Dr Luke Beardon's book about autism in adults is well worth a read and he advocates that we should be allowed to identify ourselves in the same way as the lbgt community, a notion that had already occurred to me whilst watching the recent gay rights programming on tv.

He also refutes the term diagnosis, suggesting identification instead.

Children