To Get A Formal Diagnosis or Not? ADVICE please!

I visited my GP yesterday and spoke to her for the first time about Aspie’s. She said that she would refer me if I wanted but posed the question what would it achieve? Or rather what would I want to achieve? What are my reasons for seeking one? 

I need some opinions and experience about self-diagnosis vs formal diagnosis...I have some reasons already which I will inevitably list at some point...

but for now I’m just interested in a general opinion so I can make the choice a little easier...

many thanks for your helps!

Parents
  • I’m going to talk to my GP on Thursday,  but for me it’s wanting validation. I’ve always been odd, always had quirks, and, until recently, accepted them as me.  Autism was a remote reason for them.  All that changed when several people independently suggested it.  I now want to know if autism is the reason why I’ve felt different all my life, why I don’t get stuff.  I’m not sure how I’ll feel if it turns out I’m not autistic!

• I’m going to talk to my GP on Thursday,  but for me it’s wanting validation. I’ve always been odd, always had quirks, and, until recently, accepted them as me.  Autism was a remote reason for them.  All that changed when several people independently suggested it.  I now want to know if autism is the reason why I’ve felt different all my life, why I don’t get stuff.  I’m not sure how I’ll feel if it turns out I’m not autistic!

Children
  • Hi Bonniepurple - I feel the same, but with that niggling fear that a 'negative' diagnosis could leave me feeling pretty disappointed, to be honest. It all makes sense to me now, in my mid-40s... I have a fear I'm not 'extreme' enough (I'm a high-performing professional with fairl full-on job, but having just read Sarah Hendrickx's Women and Girls with Autism Spectrum Disorder: Understanding Life Experiences from Early Childhood to Old Age, I can identify many of the coping strategies I've subconsciously adopted over my life to fit in.

I've not yet approached my GP, but am going to ask when I next see her.

Good luck everyone!