Inner Chimp

Hi all

I was just wondering whether anyone had read the Chimp Paradox and whether it helped them? I've just started reading it and can quite relate to it, so interested in other people's experiences.

Thanks 

Andrew

Parents
  • Hi Andrew,

Have previously read this but since considering I have aspergers to some degree, i've tried reading it again the last few days and find it very conflicting for me.

eg Steve Peters describes the chimp amongst other things as seeing in black and white, well that't me and most of the chimp processes describes me so feeling very confused at the moment. I'm wondering if this only works for NT people. I've put it back on the shelf now as I only feel that I should be something I'm not.

If it works for you then great, stick at it.

Good luck

Gareth

• Hi Andrew,

Have previously read this but since considering I have aspergers to some degree, i've tried reading it again the last few days and find it very conflicting for me.

eg Steve Peters describes the chimp amongst other things as seeing in black and white, well that't me and most of the chimp processes describes me so feeling very confused at the moment. I'm wondering if this only works for NT people. I've put it back on the shelf now as I only feel that I should be something I'm not.

If it works for you then great, stick at it.

Good luck

Gareth

Children
  • Hi Gareth

Firstly, I am sorry that by asking the question that I have inadvertently caused you any confusion, pain and difficulty. In terms of the book itself, I find that as a working model that it fits reasonably well, but one has to remember it is a model and not absolute. My own experience now that I am part of the way through the book is that I can see how it broadly applies to those on and off the spectrum, and that some on the spectrum, myself included, have poor control over their inner chimp. That said, there with be NT's that also have a poor control, whilst others on the spectrum that have good control. What is also interesting is the large number of those on the spectrum who's inner chimp is either tucked away or doesn't appear to exist, with only the human and computer working logically together, for those individuals perhaps chimp training should be about bringing the chimp out of hiding, something which Dr Peters does not appear to cover. 

So thank you, your comments have made me think in a rounder way about the overall concept.

Thanks

Andrew