Could you identify with what is said on these forums and NOT be on the spectrum?

I just wondered what anyone might think, there is just so much common ground and shared experience among the diversity.  I wonder if anyone NT could empathise with it all.  I can see why NT's might read some of it if they have partners or relatives on the spectrum and they are trying to understand, but I wonder if it makes sense to them. The fact that so many are finding their way here and finding kindred spirits and soul food seems like a form of diagnosis to me.  Anyone?

Parents
  • I did a lot of research and soul searching before I braved joining here and dipping my toe in this online water.

like you said earlier, the reading and researching led to a holy crap, slap me with a brick realisation and things clicked for me and everything seemed to fall into place.

yes I am married, I have a child, I hold down a full time job...I can act and perform like a "normal-ish" puppet....but often get it wrong and crash and burn at the end of the day....or panic internally...

no I have not a formal diagnostic...and there seems little support out there for adults anyhow....I don't think that ASD is just a fashionable badge, it is the realisation that you are different, that life, connection, communication and belonging are a massive challenge...it has meant that some have also sunk into depression along the way, and find it difficult to learn life's rule book and put on that "brave face", that "mask"...and anxiety is everyday 

• I agree with Elephant.  I've always been "different" and have often said to my DH that I might be autistic.  I read a couple of books (Laura James and Cynthia Kim) and recognised myself.  I did a couple of the questionnaires and thought nothing of the high scores.  It wasn't until a couple of friends (one of whom diagnoses children with ASD) both asked me if I was on the spectrum that I thought I'd better explore it more.

I would like to get a formal diagnosis, but it's not important right now.  I've got an answer as to why I struggle and why school was difficult. It would have been better if it had been picked up when I was 3, but not much I can do about it.

• I think anyone looking for answers to any kind of problem can make it fit!

But having researched on here and still finding subtle little things tells me there is a reason I am the way I am,I am not broken and don't need fixing,it has helped me understand why I do things differently.

I am sure anyone looking on here will maybe find one or two matching signs but that would be all.it is a way of life,just different levels,I cope really well day to day but it exhausts me as I change my character to suit the dynamics of the day,one day labourer worker,the next a foreman,a calming listening ear.A boss who takes no nonesense,a safety critical advisor,myself taking risks but preaching to others not to.

So like some NT's have said to me"oh I do that,so I must be autistic". Focusing on just one thing, Apparently most of my work mates are OCD! If only they knew how severe OCD is? Just checking the door is locked pales in significance. Makes me angry but then they are trying to tell me it ain't that bad.

• Lonewarrior said:
    I think anyone looking for answers to any kind of problem can make it fit!

i.e. "Confirmation bias". This is a real danger with problems like this. I never thought I was different - too little self-awareness to realise that! How on earth can you really know what it is like in other people's heads? What do you think you are different from? Sometimes I get the sense that NT people are stumbling around in the fog like me, sometimes I feel that I am not that different and I also think that it is not healthy to constantly look for differences when there are still similarities that can be found and worked with.

• And I'm Spartacus!

anyhow...  Spotty has launched an interesting thread but with ASD being such a broad spectrum plus us all carrying our own personal baggage as well as being individuals in our own right does make it difficult to weigh the preverbial pig/cuckoo or elephant  

• And I'm Spartacus!

anyhow...  Spotty has launched an interesting thread but with ASD being such a broad spectrum plus us all carrying our own personal baggage as well as being individuals in our own right does make it difficult to weigh the preverbial pig/cuckoo or elephant  

Children
No Data