That Friday Brain Feeling

Its Friday.

Finally!
After a long working week, spent combining fitting into the NT office environment, smiling appropriately when people make jokes and managing to not say the things my brain lets slip, my brain is empty.

On a good week its not so bad - I can continue with intelligent conversation through the weekend, but a week like this, which has also had me doing some very challenging data analysis has drained me completely.

I like analysing data, looking for patterns etc. It's like feeding a monster something to prevent it from eating people. In my case, keeping my brain busy means it doesnt spend all the time overanalysing everything in my life. However, this week I have been analysing data, and then having to explain my process and logic to people who do not think like me, which is not easy. In fact it took longer to explain than to do the work, and I find it very challenging to explain things I find simple to people who do not understand. Its hard to be patient, especially when I know its right, and I could be doing something more valuable than explaining.

How do other people cope with brain exhaustion? All suggestions welcome!

Parents
  • Hi Daniel,

I am struggling to balance the work/recover balance at the moment.  I have a demanding office job, both creative and analytical (which I love!), but the office is growing, there are more people to interact with, meetings involve more people, take longer to complete and as you said, often people in these meetings don't think the same as me, so it becomes tiring explaining things.  At present, I find my evenings too exhausted to do anything and then at the weekends I just want to sleep or slob around on the sofa.  Everything is overwhelming and too much to tackle.  Sensory issues are on a high as well.

I love my job, but I also crave some personal life where I am not spending it spaced out and drained.  If anyone has any coping strategies or tips on how to minimise 'That Friday brain feeling' as Daniel put it, I m more than happy to listen and try suggestions.

• Hi Starbuck,

Your situation does sound similar to mine! Do yo have any children?

Reply Children
No Data