Should I disclose my Asperger's syndrome on my job application

I am a 23 year old with Asperger's syndrome trying to find work (and have been for some time) and always have the dilemma of whether I should disclose my Aspergers on my job application,wait until during the interview, after the interview if i get the job or not at all. At the moment I usually mention it in the equlity monitoring part of the application form and at the interview if a question is relevant (for example if they ask to explain a difficulty I had to overcome)

my dad is now advised me to keep quiet about the Asperger's as he feels its none of the employers business and I have no legal obligation to do so. However my mother advises me to declare it to them as she feels it is important that they know.

Am I best to tell employers or keep quiet about it? 

If i don't tell employers am I liable to be sued or dismissed etc further down the line if they found out?

Parents
  • piggy77 said:

I am as always job hunting and have been pondering this very question. I do declare it on equal ops sections of forms but do not tell anyone when I get the job. Inevitably I find the position too over-stimulating or they hate me and I have to leave. I've always had to fill in forms with my manager present and actively watching so I've never had the nerve to write it on a company document online or on paper. I find this very frustrating. 

Oddly I find most of my work under-stimulating, which gives me a lot of time to think and be anxious.

• piggy77 said:

I am as always job hunting and have been pondering this very question. I do declare it on equal ops sections of forms but do not tell anyone when I get the job. Inevitably I find the position too over-stimulating or they hate me and I have to leave. I've always had to fill in forms with my manager present and actively watching so I've never had the nerve to write it on a company document online or on paper. I find this very frustrating. 

Oddly I find most of my work under-stimulating, which gives me a lot of time to think and be anxious.

Children
No Data