Asperger's is becoming an obsession for me.

So since I was young I always knew I was different. I didn't start talking until a lot later than other kids, I always struggled with social interactions, and there are a great many reasons why I recently have come to the belief that I have always had aspergers (I'm a 27 year old man to provide context). As I have got older I have learned many of societies rules, and I think I actually function pretty well now, at least on the outside, on the inside I feel like I am constantly managing an array of filters, filtering what goes in (at least trying to) and filtering what goes out so I don't inadvertently offend or upset someone. It's tiring...

Anyway, I realise that what I am doing most likely isn't helpful, but I feel I have to do something. I think I've become a bit obsessed with Aspergers, I've read a load about it and watched hours of videos, I always do this, when something interests me I spend hours studying it, I can't break out of it, it's like I'm drawn to it. It's one of the many things that makes me think I have Aspergers, but now it appears that Aspergers is the focus of my current obsession.

The issue is that now I have studied things I have reached the point that I am almost totally convinced I fit the bill, so much so that I now make most things fit, I can't be sure that this is what I am doing, or if things actually do fit and I'm just recognising it, I also have a problem where when I believe something I can find a tremendous amount of supporting evidence, I have done this before and later been proved to be wrong, so I accept that is a possibility in this instance.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

Parents
  • Thanks for the response,

I did as many online assessments as I could find, they all return results along the lines of it being likely that I have some form of autism.

I probably should speak to me GP, I spoke about some of the things that lead me to start investigating autism before and I was told that I am normal and its just my character and there isn't anything wrong with that. I may make another apointment and bring up ASD.

• Thanks for the response,

I did as many online assessments as I could find, they all return results along the lines of it being likely that I have some form of autism.

I probably should speak to me GP, I spoke about some of the things that lead me to start investigating autism before and I was told that I am normal and its just my character and there isn't anything wrong with that. I may make another apointment and bring up ASD.

Children
No Data