I've got a career as a trainee signalling designer on the British railways!

I've got a career on the railways on Great Britain!

I'm Alastair and I have Asperger's Syndrome. I've got a career as a Trainee Signalling Designer on the railways of Great Britain. I've been looking for a career for over a year after graduating from Sheffield Hallam University.

Believe me: it's hard looking for a career or even a part-time job. It's demoralising and all those applications to McDonald's and CenterParcs and Little Chef, etc, they all seemed irrelevant once someone said "Yes."

Most employers will take a very dim view of people with autism or Asperger's Syndrome. You don't know why they didn't pick you to employ, and you can't get feedback. So, you don't know whether it's because of your autism that you didn't get the job.

It's going to go on like this until there's a change in the law to require employers to state why they didn't employ you or why they did employ the successful candidate.

All I can say is that you DON'T STATE that you have autism until after the interview, if you can keep your autism 'under wraps' until after the interview.

Keep on going for jobs: you literally have to 'flood the job market' with applications (even if it's a job you don't want) and sooner or later, by pure chance, you'll get a job......