Asperger's and Jobs

I was wondering as an Aspie myself. What jobs do those of you with Asperger's do for a living?

What jobs do you think would be suitable for someone with Asperger's like myself? Any ideas?

Parents
  • This question was raised fairly recently http://community.autism.org.uk/discussions/health-wellbeing/work-volunteering/what-do-you-all-do-job by Sgt Romeo who is finding it tough going as a female in the police.

A lot depends on the lottery of who your manager and immediate colleagues are. I have worked in a number of places over the years and managers can vary from being genuine psychopaths to really nice people. The culture of the organisation also a=has a bearing. Large stable companies with well defined roles and processes can be good. Fast moving reactive companies that are always chasing the latest fad can be particularly challenging if one is resistant to change and multi tasking.

I've been surprised by a few people on the forum who have done jobs that I wouldn't think of doing - teaching which involves dealing with large numbers of kids seems to be possible if the school has appropriate atmosphere and culture of sensible discipline. Sgt Romeo is finding it tough in the police but it may be her colleagues or it may be the nature of the force that is making it tough.

Project management, or any role where you need to be negotiating or cajoling or being an intermediary would be impossible in my mind but I expect someone will be able to point out a contrary example.

Shop work could be suitable as this can be straightforward and rule based and often doesn't involve any greater understanding of human fellings than politeness (some might even struggle with that though)

I work in IT and also know a lot of engineers who are on the spectrum. In these areas your work can speak for you. If you do a quality job then people may give you respect and some allowance for being a bit odd. Working in an IT department can be tough though as people are often not very good at dealing with each other as humans! (Go figure!)

Some people have found success in self employment where they can do most of the work alone. This needs organisation and self discipline which is an area that many of us struggle with.

• This question was raised fairly recently http://community.autism.org.uk/discussions/health-wellbeing/work-volunteering/what-do-you-all-do-job by Sgt Romeo who is finding it tough going as a female in the police.

A lot depends on the lottery of who your manager and immediate colleagues are. I have worked in a number of places over the years and managers can vary from being genuine psychopaths to really nice people. The culture of the organisation also a=has a bearing. Large stable companies with well defined roles and processes can be good. Fast moving reactive companies that are always chasing the latest fad can be particularly challenging if one is resistant to change and multi tasking.

I've been surprised by a few people on the forum who have done jobs that I wouldn't think of doing - teaching which involves dealing with large numbers of kids seems to be possible if the school has appropriate atmosphere and culture of sensible discipline. Sgt Romeo is finding it tough in the police but it may be her colleagues or it may be the nature of the force that is making it tough.

Project management, or any role where you need to be negotiating or cajoling or being an intermediary would be impossible in my mind but I expect someone will be able to point out a contrary example.

Shop work could be suitable as this can be straightforward and rule based and often doesn't involve any greater understanding of human fellings than politeness (some might even struggle with that though)

I work in IT and also know a lot of engineers who are on the spectrum. In these areas your work can speak for you. If you do a quality job then people may give you respect and some allowance for being a bit odd. Working in an IT department can be tough though as people are often not very good at dealing with each other as humans! (Go figure!)

Some people have found success in self employment where they can do most of the work alone. This needs organisation and self discipline which is an area that many of us struggle with.

Children
No Data