Can you have Asperger's without a 'special interest'?

When I was diagnosed I was told that I had either high functioning autism or Asperger's. The official letter I received stated that my diagnosis was Asperger's. I don't have a special interest that I obsess over though. Well not that I can think of. Do you have to have one if you have Asperger's? Thanks

Parents
  • Well, Longman says it all so I won't repeat it just for the sake of doing so.

I do have a special interest, but then so do many people - they're called 'lifelong hobbies'. In our case, what some of us do is find a subject and go into the minutest detail, but once we've done that we can lose interest completely, because we've filed the information away in our heads.

'Special interest' could take minutes, hours, days or forever - it's about the process, not the longevity.

• Well, Longman says it all so I won't repeat it just for the sake of doing so.

I do have a special interest, but then so do many people - they're called 'lifelong hobbies'. In our case, what some of us do is find a subject and go into the minutest detail, but once we've done that we can lose interest completely, because we've filed the information away in our heads.

'Special interest' could take minutes, hours, days or forever - it's about the process, not the longevity.

Children
No Data