Can you have Asperger's without a 'special interest'?

When I was diagnosed I was told that I had either high functioning autism or Asperger's. The official letter I received stated that my diagnosis was Asperger's. I don't have a special interest that I obsess over though. Well not that I can think of. Do you have to have one if you have Asperger's? Thanks

Parents
  • The archetypal person with ASD has a special interest or obsession or repetitive interests or behaviours. However, people with ASD vary enormously. “If you’ve met one person with autism, you’ve met one person with autism,” Dr. Stephen Shore. i.e. we are all remarkably different and we actually don't reall conform to any stereotypes.

To get a diagnosis you will have exhibited the so-called triad of problems with

• difficulty with social communication
    • difficulty with social interaction
    • difficulty with social imagination

You must have suffered from these issues to get diagnosed.

Why are you worried about this?

• The archetypal person with ASD has a special interest or obsession or repetitive interests or behaviours. However, people with ASD vary enormously. “If you’ve met one person with autism, you’ve met one person with autism,” Dr. Stephen Shore. i.e. we are all remarkably different and we actually don't reall conform to any stereotypes.

To get a diagnosis you will have exhibited the so-called triad of problems with

• difficulty with social communication
    • difficulty with social interaction
    • difficulty with social imagination

You must have suffered from these issues to get diagnosed.

Why are you worried about this?

Children
No Data