Sleeping Issues

Hi,

Our baby who is 2 1/2 yrs been told to be having autistic behaviour. We have got to know about autism recently. After reading about it a lot we now realise that his sleeping issues probably are related to ASD.

For almost 1 year now he tend to wake up at least once or twise during the night and we put him back to sleep. This does not happen daily but he has a twin brother and we clearly see that there is lack of sleeping quality of him compared to his brother. Even last night he woke up twise.

All these days the obvious thing we thought was that he is hungry and to give him milk. Which usually works.

after reading about it now i also tend to see that 'milk' may probably be bad for children with ASD also.

Has anyone done any home remodies to make the situation better ? has it worked ? please help.

Parents
  • Hi SDM,

Glad that you feel welcome here. There are a range of views but there isn't a magic bullet that will resolve things. Diet seems to help some people, SOI finds it useful and I also have cut out certain things (apples, tomatoes mainly as I have found that I seem to have pollen fruit syndrome). The fedup site claims success and I think its diets are similar to the American Feingold diet. My opinion is that there is something in these diets but they don't help everyone and as far as I can see there isn't any solid science behind them although this may come in time. There are lots of dieticians who will happily charge you for all sorts of tests - some of them are genuine well meaning people but some are exploiting vulnerable people.

I guess you are sleeping in the same room out of necessity rather than choice but, needless to say, it would help if you could all sleep separately. You are likely to disturb him and he will disturb you and you may well react to him when he might have just gone back to sleep on his own.

Stopping using the TV as 'child minding' is definitely a good move. Kids with ASD need more help and practice with social interaction so this is a good move. 

• Hi SDM,

Glad that you feel welcome here. There are a range of views but there isn't a magic bullet that will resolve things. Diet seems to help some people, SOI finds it useful and I also have cut out certain things (apples, tomatoes mainly as I have found that I seem to have pollen fruit syndrome). The fedup site claims success and I think its diets are similar to the American Feingold diet. My opinion is that there is something in these diets but they don't help everyone and as far as I can see there isn't any solid science behind them although this may come in time. There are lots of dieticians who will happily charge you for all sorts of tests - some of them are genuine well meaning people but some are exploiting vulnerable people.

I guess you are sleeping in the same room out of necessity rather than choice but, needless to say, it would help if you could all sleep separately. You are likely to disturb him and he will disturb you and you may well react to him when he might have just gone back to sleep on his own.

Stopping using the TV as 'child minding' is definitely a good move. Kids with ASD need more help and practice with social interaction so this is a good move. 

Children
No Data