Sleeping Issues

Hi,

Our baby who is 2 1/2 yrs been told to be having autistic behaviour. We have got to know about autism recently. After reading about it a lot we now realise that his sleeping issues probably are related to ASD.

For almost 1 year now he tend to wake up at least once or twise during the night and we put him back to sleep. This does not happen daily but he has a twin brother and we clearly see that there is lack of sleeping quality of him compared to his brother. Even last night he woke up twise.

All these days the obvious thing we thought was that he is hungry and to give him milk. Which usually works.

after reading about it now i also tend to see that 'milk' may probably be bad for children with ASD also.

Has anyone done any home remodies to make the situation better ? has it worked ? please help.

Parents
  • His sleep problems might, or might not, be related to his ASD.

He may, or may not, be intolerant of lactose. I don't think there is any proven link between the  two. There is a lot of discussion about links between diet and ASD but there is little evidence pointing at any particular food. Try different foods and see if he improves without lactose/gluten/apples/tomatoes/ - there is a long list of foods that are poorly tolerated by different people. There is a website linked to an Australian hospital that promotes methods of identifying intolerance - http://fedup.com.au/ Be careful though as there are lots of people with extreme views in this field. Also don't let him end up on a restricted diet - he needs a range of vitamins, minerals, energy sources fibre etc etc - If in doubt then get help from your health visitor or GP.

Does his room have dark curtains? Some people with ASD are extra sensitive to light - I need plackout curtains to help me sleep.

Rewarding him with a bottle of anything may actually encourage him to wake and call for you. Try and develop a quiet and calm reaction to his waking. Check he is OK. Try and work out if anything is disturbing him and try and make bedtime a quiet time when he can be reassured but not encouraged in any way to get up.

• His sleep problems might, or might not, be related to his ASD.

He may, or may not, be intolerant of lactose. I don't think there is any proven link between the  two. There is a lot of discussion about links between diet and ASD but there is little evidence pointing at any particular food. Try different foods and see if he improves without lactose/gluten/apples/tomatoes/ - there is a long list of foods that are poorly tolerated by different people. There is a website linked to an Australian hospital that promotes methods of identifying intolerance - http://fedup.com.au/ Be careful though as there are lots of people with extreme views in this field. Also don't let him end up on a restricted diet - he needs a range of vitamins, minerals, energy sources fibre etc etc - If in doubt then get help from your health visitor or GP.

Does his room have dark curtains? Some people with ASD are extra sensitive to light - I need plackout curtains to help me sleep.

Rewarding him with a bottle of anything may actually encourage him to wake and call for you. Try and develop a quiet and calm reaction to his waking. Check he is OK. Try and work out if anything is disturbing him and try and make bedtime a quiet time when he can be reassured but not encouraged in any way to get up.

Children
No Data