wories about fireworks

please please can any one help my 12 year old son who is petrafied of firework.it isnt the flashes or the pritty coulors but the unknown bangs not knowing when they are not going to happen.me and my family have to go thru the same thing every year and it just seems to get worse every year.he wears his mp3 at night to hide out the noise we have even taken him to displays at his own request but still has not worked this is getting the family down now as we just dont no how to deal with this issue that james has any suggestions or ideas please please help.

Parents
  • Hello Pink 

I thought I might be able to offer some additional ideas, though I love Colincat's cinema idea - there would probably be less people there that night too, although there would of course be noise in getting there.

I'm an adult with HFA.  As a child I had severe problems with fireworks (the noise - I liked watching them and sparklers, but found the unexpected bangs and particularly the high-pitched whistling ones very difficult).  I still find the unexpected noise very difficult as an adult, but I now love going to organised displays, so I thought I'd share some things that have helped me.

Unexpected noise - I prepare myself for this time of year, I've just seen fireworks coming into the local shops, so I know to expect this from anytime onwards, so make sure windows are closed at night.  If there are fireworks being set off depending how loud they are I find other noise (TV/music) can be enough, but often I need earplugs and/or defenders.  I keep these both on my desk by my computer so I have quick access to them.  I find the combination of ear plugs and defenders works quite well.  When walking outside I use an MP3 player with noise cancelling earphones which doesn't block all the noise but certainly muffles it - though you do need to be careful because it reduces your ability to hear traffic when crossing roads etc.

Going to firework displays - for about the last five years my sister's taken me to the same display and it's become a bit of a tradition.  I'm actually looking forward to going this year!  Do some research if there are different ones where you live.  We go to a large very well organised display which I feel safe at.  Also it's a music/light choreographed display so they don't use very noisy fireworks as it's more about the light show and timing the fireworks with the music - it really is excellent and I like the choreography.  We also make an evening of it, so it's not just about the fireworks and get there really early (we're usually first in!) to find the best place where we can see well and escape.  I find I can cope much better if I'm really comfortable so we take note of the weather forecast and what it's been like and go fully prepared with wellies etc. as necessary.  We always take our own toffee apples etc. so we don't have to worry about the crowds/queues and can hide round the bonfire instead, I always take my earplugs so I've got them just in case (knowing I have them can be comforting in itself) and we always make sure we're identifiable in the crowds - usually my sister wears bright pink flashing rabbit ears!!!!  Laughing

I realise there's a lot there - hopefully there's something useful within it.  Smile

Alex - mod

• Hello Pink 

I thought I might be able to offer some additional ideas, though I love Colincat's cinema idea - there would probably be less people there that night too, although there would of course be noise in getting there.

I'm an adult with HFA.  As a child I had severe problems with fireworks (the noise - I liked watching them and sparklers, but found the unexpected bangs and particularly the high-pitched whistling ones very difficult).  I still find the unexpected noise very difficult as an adult, but I now love going to organised displays, so I thought I'd share some things that have helped me.

Unexpected noise - I prepare myself for this time of year, I've just seen fireworks coming into the local shops, so I know to expect this from anytime onwards, so make sure windows are closed at night.  If there are fireworks being set off depending how loud they are I find other noise (TV/music) can be enough, but often I need earplugs and/or defenders.  I keep these both on my desk by my computer so I have quick access to them.  I find the combination of ear plugs and defenders works quite well.  When walking outside I use an MP3 player with noise cancelling earphones which doesn't block all the noise but certainly muffles it - though you do need to be careful because it reduces your ability to hear traffic when crossing roads etc.

Going to firework displays - for about the last five years my sister's taken me to the same display and it's become a bit of a tradition.  I'm actually looking forward to going this year!  Do some research if there are different ones where you live.  We go to a large very well organised display which I feel safe at.  Also it's a music/light choreographed display so they don't use very noisy fireworks as it's more about the light show and timing the fireworks with the music - it really is excellent and I like the choreography.  We also make an evening of it, so it's not just about the fireworks and get there really early (we're usually first in!) to find the best place where we can see well and escape.  I find I can cope much better if I'm really comfortable so we take note of the weather forecast and what it's been like and go fully prepared with wellies etc. as necessary.  We always take our own toffee apples etc. so we don't have to worry about the crowds/queues and can hide round the bonfire instead, I always take my earplugs so I've got them just in case (knowing I have them can be comforting in itself) and we always make sure we're identifiable in the crowds - usually my sister wears bright pink flashing rabbit ears!!!!  Laughing

I realise there's a lot there - hopefully there's something useful within it.  Smile

Alex - mod

Children
No Data