In England, are people with an ASD considered disabled and/or vulnerable under English Law?

In England, under English Law (Mental Health Capacity Act, Vunerable Adults Act, Disability Discrimination Act, Equalities Act, Autism Act, etc), are adults with an ASD considered to be disabled, mentally disabled, vulnerable adults, or similar?

And if so, what are the legal rights of such ASD suffers, what are they entitled to that differ from a non-ASD person, so on and so forth, etc? 

(I have Asperger Syndrome and suffer badly from depression, anxiety, paranoia, fear for the future, difficulty coping with change, etc.  So I am wondering whether I am considered as having a disablity, a mental disability, and/or considered a vulnerable adult.)

Parents
  • We've gone off the original thread a bit, and apologies to zone tripper yet again for misusing this opportunity.

I struggled through childhood, teens and  twenties, and even when things got better gradually, have stiill felt marginal to the NT world - "borderline".  Now it appears that, though a diagnosis of aspergers seemed to provide the answers and make things better, I'm now not just mild but "borderline" there too.

I suspect I'm not alone in this middle ground, neither NT nor Aspergers. Perhaps we need to form a new group for in-betweenies?

Seriously though, I recognise that lack of empathy is part of the diagnosis, even though there is some debate as to what this means exactly and whether it is definitive. But I am familiar with behaviours that lack any notion of empathy.

• We've gone off the original thread a bit, and apologies to zone tripper yet again for misusing this opportunity.

I struggled through childhood, teens and  twenties, and even when things got better gradually, have stiill felt marginal to the NT world - "borderline".  Now it appears that, though a diagnosis of aspergers seemed to provide the answers and make things better, I'm now not just mild but "borderline" there too.

I suspect I'm not alone in this middle ground, neither NT nor Aspergers. Perhaps we need to form a new group for in-betweenies?

Seriously though, I recognise that lack of empathy is part of the diagnosis, even though there is some debate as to what this means exactly and whether it is definitive. But I am familiar with behaviours that lack any notion of empathy.

Children
No Data