No sense of self

Who am I? I have little idea. I know what I am interested in, and I know what my strengths and weaknesses are, and what I like and dislike. I am often told that I am a very articulate and self-aware person.

However, most of my life has been an act. I have internalised multiple personas over the years, pretending to be someone I am not, regardless of whether this someone is real or a figment of my imagination. As an extreme example, once, when I was at school, I imitated the precise way a girl pouted her lip. I ended up pouting my lip, and must have looked quite ridiculous.

I try and imitate hair styles, dress styles, speech patterns, actions, almost anything. Sometimes this is very conscious, sometimes it is almost unconscious, but I am always aware that I am playing a part. Even when I am alone in my bedroom, I act 'through' others. Even my interests are often dictated by someone else, someone I admire or want to be like. It feels like I have no autonomy or 'self' that I can call my own; everything is stage managed.

My interests currently come and go, but I am only interested in one area of a subject, and find it hard to generalise my interest to related fields. I have always had this problem, but I am more aware of it now; it means that I find it hard to plan my life, decide what I want to do, and what I want to achieve in life.

I also get obsessed with certain people, and live my life 'through' them, often in fantasy.

Can anyone else relate to this lack of self, identity confusion?

Parents
  • Hope, you could be describing me exactly! I think I have always immitated people and when I am in the company of others it feels like I jump from one person I've known to the next. A long time before I was diagnosed I became aware that I could turn myself into another female person and copy their way of speaking and would copy their antics and everything. I didn't know why I did this but was just aware I did and it scared me a bit.

Often I would sit and watch other women and take notes of what I should do to appear more like a 'normal' person as in copy the way they held their hands, arms, walked, spoke etc. I would even grade myself at how well I was putting across these actions which I saw as things that would make me fit in better. Years later still not knowing I had Aspergers I began to realise that I was always like a different person in different scenarios and always to fit with what the people I was dealing with seemed like. As an older person now diagnosed I feel as though I can completely cover up my Aspergers by fitting myself into one of these roles depending on where I am but only for a short time and then people realise I'm a bit slow, odd or whatever.

I think I am happy most often when I am on my own but amongst others for example I enjoy going out for a coffee. I sit on my own and read a magazine but can feel so happy and upbeat especially in comparison to how I would feel going for a coffee with another person. I have no worries about what I'm saying and if the other person is enjoying my company and dealing with all that chatter in the head in connection with fitting in. I can just dream and read my magazine and look around and feel so good. I think this is when I am my real self maybe. Often I feel really happy like this and then I go somewhere and meet others and in an instant I can feel down just by someones reply to something I say. It doesn't take much to make me change from feeling good to feeling depressed.

Sometimes I prefer just to be myself and try to maintain that good feeling while it is there.

• Wow, I was looking for some information about autism and identity problems and this, what you say here, is exactly what I feel as well. Especially the feeling of losing yourself (sense of self) in the presence of others is really relatable. :O 

Never saw this kind of recognition.

Thank you Blush

• Wow, I was looking for some information about autism and identity problems and this, what you say here, is exactly what I feel as well. Especially the feeling of losing yourself (sense of self) in the presence of others is really relatable. :O 

Never saw this kind of recognition.

Thank you Blush

Children
No Data